cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: FTTP Installation Feedback

‘I was told that the lead-in kit isn't used when the entry point is close to the ONT and the gap around the internal fibre entry-point (leading to the cavity) is not a problem.’

I can 110% assure you they were talking absolute s#1t. 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

I was hoping that Openreach would send one of their own engineers to take a look, rather than Kelly's.

At this point, it's probably not worth pursuing this further. I imagine if they did try to do the install again properly, I'm doubtful it'd be done neatly. Plus, the thought of them re-handling the existing fibre run doesn't fill me with confidence.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

@TheElectronwrote:

I was hoping that Openreach would send one of their own engineers to take a look, rather than Kelly's.

At this point, it's probably not worth pursuing this further. I imagine if they did try to do the install again properly, I'm doubtful it'd be done neatly. Plus, the thought of them re-handling the existing fibre run doesn't fill me with confidence.

I think you are probably right. I had a similar issue with my FTTP installation. Kelly's came back but didn't offer any real solution.  Everything works fine, but in my experience, Openreach staff do a much neater job than contractors.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Problem is Kelly’s, like Quinn’s, KN and Pickr are on Price Work, as in they get paid per job and only if it’s completed.

So why spend 3 hours doing a quality job and only getting paid £75 when you can bodge 2 jobs in that time and double your money.

Saying that though some of the quality I’ve seen from Openreach isn’t that much better either, especially from those on the new rolling contracts as they get a 10% Performance Related Bonus Based on their Completion Rate.

Im afraid everyone’s going to have to get used to it though as its going to be the norm. Contrary to popular belief The BT Group plc and or Openreach do not have an endless pot of money and if they’re going to build a National FTTP Network they need to do it on a budget so quality of equipment, products and quality aren’t the number priority. It’s now a case of get it in as fast and as cheap as possible.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

As a matter of interest, is it the company eg Kelly’s that get paid per job or the individual engineer - ie is the engineer on piece work or a wage?

either way  any if £75 includes materials you can see why not using them is so attractive. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

I don’t know exactly how much they get per job, the £75 was just a random figure.

No they don’t pay for the stores items but that’s irrelevant to what I was saying. They can have all the tools/stock they need but that doesn’t mean they’ll do a ‘Quality’ job.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

When OR did my fibre install, they left the bare fibre running up and along the wall, while other houses nearby have grey conduit.
It means the fibre is not protected in anyway, but actually looks much better than the fairly chunky conduit used so I haven't complained.

Might be interesting if it gets damaged though.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Bare fibre is the size of a human hair. There is ample protection for the fibre itself within the cable (which I suspect you are referring to) without the need for conduit. 

Message 19 of 20

Depends if it’s the older CCA Cable, which has a thick layer of polyethylene insulation, Kevlar, a 5mm Micron Core, followed by another Layer of Kevlar then a 3mm Micro Core Layer.

As opposed to the new ROC Cable, which is flat and the fibre is sandwiched in the middle with just what I think is a 1mm Micro Core Layer!

And the best bit, the new ROC Cable is going to be used on the Overhead Network as well so good luck if your Drop Cable runs through trees!

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Ok, ok.

Yes I mean the cable with the fibre inside it.

If you want to be pedantic is a CORNING OPTICAL CABLE SMF BIF 5000865145 FASTACCESS <TM> TECNOLOGY 023518 FT

Using the fastaccess tech which allows easy splitting of the sheath to expose the fibre.

Now, I was pointing out that all my neighbours who had installations at around the same time (new roll out to an estate build in 2004) all have plastic trunking up to the box on the wall while mine is just the small black cable.

The corning cable seems to have reasonable crush resistance, but its vulnerable to being snagged.

However, I think it looks better.