cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

FTTP and newbuilds phone and tv problems

Can anyone help please? We moved into a new build and six weeks later were ready to go with FTTP. Great!- but hang on. Our Open reach modem where we have to connect our Super fast hub 6 is in our kitchen cupboard under the stairs. I also signed up for BT tv which I now find is useless as the Ethernet cables supplied obviously won't work if the hub is in a different room. So I ordered Broadband extenders in the vain hope they will work- not yet arrived! Plus we have a BT 8600 twin handset phone which also has to be plugged into the hub. So here we are handset 2 is ok in the lounge plugged into the extension socket but the master handset either has to be left in the cupboard under the stairs or left on the kitchen work top with the cable trailing dangerously under the door. Phoned BT FTTP and was told leave master handset plugged into hub overnight and it will be ok in any socket the next day. I did not see how this could work but she said it was due to wireless connectivity. Specifically, I tried this and needless to say it didn't work. So I am left with a dangerous trailing phone cable or must I spend my life on my knees in the cupboard every time the phone rings. Rang FTTP again, but they don't seem to understand the problem.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: FTTP and newbuilds phone and tv problems

Welcome to this user forum.

Provided that you have ordered the BT Mini Connectors (£20 for BT Vision customers) for the BT YouView box, then they should work fine.

I assume that your phone line also comes over the fibre connection, so the master socket would be close to the ONT?

I am confused when you say that handset 2 is plugged into an extension socket, as it does not have a phone connection, so I assume you mean a mains extension socket, not a phone socket.

Your only option would be to have an extension phone socket fitted, either DIY, or have it installed by a local tradesperson who is competent.

Extension sockets are the responsibility of the customer, although they are normally fitted in new houses.

Message 3 of 17

Thanks for your reply and advice Keith

Yes I did mean mains electric socket. We already have phone extension sockets in the house but I can't get our phone to work without plugging it into the open reach modem which means a trailing cable from the walk in cupboard where it is located to the nearest place I can put the phone. I have indeed purchased the adaptors 're the tv problems and am awaiting their delivery. Can't believe BT/open reach don't understand. I have demanded they send out an engineer free of charge to sort this out as umpteen mess,calls and live chats over several days could not sort it out. Will keep you posted.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

I doubt they will send out anyone free of charge, as their responsibility ends at the master socket.

Are there no other phone sockets in the house, as it would be very unusual if there was only the one, as builders normally fit them in at least two other rooms?

If there are other sockets, then it may simply mean that they need wiring to the master socket where the fibre voice line terminates.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

The location of the ONT is purely down to the Site Developer.

I’ve noticed a lot seem to put the ONT’s in cupboards, be it ones under the stairs or Boiler Cupboard. Unfortunately it’s up to the Developer to install additional phone points and RJ45 data points. Like an NTE5 Openreaches responsibility ends at the ONT.

You might be able to get a Lift and Shift or it but it would mean putting new cabling externally on the wall and possibly internally over skirting boards, etc as well.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Thank you for your response Keith. Broadband extenders have arrived and I have set up BT TV and it works a treat. Picture is better than ever. An engineer is supposed to arrive tomorrow 're the phone situation. Ho hum, watch this space! 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Hi Starwire2000. Thank you for your response. I don't understand why the phone is causing so much trouble. The tv was simplicity itself once the broadband extenders were employed. Don't like the sound of more wires and cables,that is why wifi was introduced. I am convinced a simple solution is out there somewhere. I will keep you posted if the answer turns up.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Are there no other phone sockets in the house?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Yes we have two master sockets neat to the open reach modem, two in the hallway and two in the lounge.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

@Terri1 wrote:

Yes we have two master sockets neat to the open reach modem, two in the hallway and two in the lounge.

That is what I expected to see. It just needs the two master sockets next to the Openreach NTE, linked together, so that the phone connection is extended to the two sockets in the hallway, and the two in the lounge, which would already be daisy chained together.

That should be a very simple matter of a single pair of wires between the two sockets next to the Openreach ONT.

0 Ratings