cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

FTTP red los light

hi!

So after having fibre broadband for many years without a hitch , randomly today my broadband died and this los light appeared on the white openreach hub thing.

I understand this light means loss of service and is due to lack of light withing the fibre cable itself.  I have tried to reset the box checked cables connected etc nothing has worked.spoke to the fibre team and I have an engineer booked for Monday which is something.  What are the chances its fixable by Monday? I understand its hard to say but does anyone have an idea what this issue could be? Are they hard to fix?I work from home and typically Tuesday is when I return from paternity leave so I cannot have time off! The mini hub doesn't allow me to connect my voip phone so its useless for work purposes.  

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: FTTP red los light

Sorry, the crystal ball is out of action at the moment. It could be due to any number of reasons that are unknown until the engineer investigates.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

I fully understand,  what I mean is potentially could this be something that could mean im without broadband for weeks? Its just I would need to find somewhere I could work

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

It's possible, but unlikely that it will take weeks to fix. It's just impossible to speculate really, there are far too many variables.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Understood thanks for taking the time, my work are in the process of making lots redundant and one of the major deciding factors on the matrix is absences...so now is the worst possible time for this to occur which is why I'm extremely apprensive 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Understand. Hopefully it will be something simple and easily fixed. 🤞🤞

Message 7 of 17

FTTP works on a 32 Way Splitter, so one Fibre can supply service for up to 32 people, although Openreach prefer to try and use only 28 of the Fibres.

Are you aware if anyone in your street/neighbouring streets are also out of service. If so that might indicate an issue at or before the Splitter. Saying that though if multiple PON’s went down at the same time it would set off an alarm and a PTO would’ve been sent to investigate.

If there’s no obvious signs of damage to the overhead drop cable or underground one if then it could be a bad splice somewhere between the Splitter and CSP or if you have a Field Fit Connector then chances are it’s that as they have a high failure rate.

Depending on where the fault is the Engineer on Monday may or may not be able to fix it. Depends on the Skill Set of the Service Delivery Engineer that comes out. 

The ones who have been doing FTTP from the old Blown Fibre days tend to have the skills/knowledge to do Node and Splitter work whereas the ones who are only Connectorised Fibre trained only work from the CBT forward and would either need to get an assist on the day if possible or send the job to someone who can fix it. How long that would be is anyone’s guess, Openreach are very busy at the minute, so busy they’ve called Compulsory Overtime for their Service Delivery Engineers for the next 6 weeks. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Thanks for the reply,  I live in a very rural area  it took 2 months to even get the FTTP as they had to install new poles etc

Had a look around could not see any damaged wires/poles as in Northern Ireland we had extremely high winds the last few days so suspected that.

My neighbours are all very elderly and due to covid can't go and ask but I've been wondering if they have been affected too.

Its just weird how it was working perfectly then all of a sudden not it must be something that has just failed , I was hoping optimistically it would somehow be working and fixed itself this morning haha

Will have too look into renting a office again which will be a nightmare at the moment as I know in my heart this won't be rectified on Monday if its anything like the installation it will be a saga of cancelled appointments  wrong equipment etc 

But fair play they managed to get a Monday appointment which is fast so maybe it will be ok

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

So the engineer came out checked everything and is at a loss, he thinks the fault is with the CBT what ever that is and has escalated the fault.

So that's fantastic I now have less than 5 hours to organise a work space 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

CBT - Connectorised Block Terminal. Basically a Fibre Distribution Point. 

Sounds like you only had a Connectorised Trained Engineer as I mentioned above attend. 

0 Ratings