cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 77

Full Fibre To The Property with Digital Voice and Third Party Router

I have spoken to three people at BT today and have got three different answers.

I have a full FTTP service - it is excellent - 900mb + downloads. I use my own Asus router and I am very happy with it.

The landline is still on copper, I need to keep it for incoming calls from elderly friends and relatives, including some overseas.

I have been told that the copper line will be switched to Digital Voice 'soon'. We will get two free handsets, but they cannot be ordered until after the date of the switchover. I don't want to be without the landline, at all, and I want to keep using my existing router. I am planning on trying to get hold of one of the BT Digital Voice adapters to use my own phone from the day of the switch, until the new handsets arrive.

It seems that the new digital phones and the adapters all connect via WPS (wi-fi) so will they work okay on my Asus router - connection via WPS? Many people are telling me they will not work without the Smart Hub 2, I think they are wrong. Does anyone know for sure?

0 Ratings
76 REPLIES 76
Message 2 of 77

Re: Full Fibre To The Property with Digital Voice and Third Party Router

The DV adaptor and DV handset will only work with BT's Smart Hub as they actually connect via DECT and not WiFI.

Along with that the Digital Voice service requires the BT Smart Hub as it's configured to connect to BT's VoIP implementation.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 77

@rambles  They are right.

Digital voice doesn't use wifi to connect to the handsets, the SH2 is a DECT base station. The WPS button is dual purpose and serves to register the handsets to the base. You cannot use Digital Voice with your Asus router. You either need to use the SH2 or discard the voice component from BT and get a third party VOIP provider for voice service.

As has been explained on the forum countless times.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 77

I am not convinced that the Smart Hub 2 operates as a DECT base station, but there is a lot about this technology that I don't understand. And it does seem to be changing quite fast. 

I just came off of a call with a BT fibre engineer who assured me that as long as my Asus router has a WPS button, the Digital Voice handsets that I get from BT will work with it via wifi, and because I have the full FTTP connection, the handsets will just work. I don't know if he is correct or not.

What if I use my own phone via one of the BT supported adapters, in that scenario the Smart Hub 2 cannot be operating as a DECT base station.? The new Digital Phones seem to be wifi handsets, are we sure that DECT technology is still used?

If I do need to get the Smart Hub 2 out, can I connect it to the Asus router via ethernet and configure the Smart Hub so it is just a switch rather than a router, and used purely for Digital Voice? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 77

@rambles wrote:

I am not convinced that the Smart Hub 2 operates as a DECT base station, but there is a lot about this technology that I don't understand. And it does seem to be changing quite fast. 

Don't care whether you are convinced or not, I can assure you it is.

I just came off of a call with a BT fibre engineer who assured me that as long as my Asus router has a WPS button, the Digital Voice handsets that I get from BT will work with it via wifi, and because I have the full FTTP connection, the handsets will just work. I don't know if he is correct or not.

BT don't have fibre engineers and he is totally clueless. They won't work as they are DECT not Wifi

What if I use my own phone via one of the BT supported adapters, in that scenario the Smart Hub 2 cannot be operating as a DECT base station.? The new Digital Phones seem to be wifi handsets, are we sure that DECT technology is still used?

There is an analogue phone socket on the SH2

If I do need to get the Smart Hub 2 out, can I connect it to the Asus router via ethernet and configure the Smart Hub so it is just a switch rather than a router, and used purely for Digital Voice? 

You can turn off DHCP and Wifi but it will still be routing and natting.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 77

Trust us it's DECT and not via WiFi. If you look at the legal required declaration on the Digital Voice handsets or adapter manual you'll see the Radio transmission information

Frequency range

1881.792–1897.344MHz

Max power19.9dBm

This frequency range is DECT and not WiFI - here's a Wikipedia page on DECT https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_enhanced_cordless_telecommunications

Here's the digital voice adaptor manual (info is on page 7)

https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/user-guides/Digital-Voice-Adapter-userguide.pdf

The WPS has a dual function as a UX and ease perspective BT implemented the Digital Voice adapter and handset pairing via DECT to also use the WPS button.

As for your normal handset you would still need to use the BT Smart Hub but you could plug your handset into the green port on the back of the BT Smart Hub or use the Digital Voice adapter that connect back via DECT to the  BT smart hub

Message 7 of 77

Okay, that's informative, thankyou, but depressing.

So, on the last point with the Smart Hub 2 and my Asus router in the mix. If it is still routing and natting - will it still work?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 77

Yes, you will just be double natting or you could just configure the Asus as a wireless access point. Depends on why you have the Asus rather than a BT hub.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 77

I want the Asus to do everything, I get faster download speeds as well as faster wifi speeds, and various other home network tools / fixed Ip addresses that I am using. It is excellent and reliable and I don't want to mess with it.

What is double natting?

So, you think I can configure the SH2 to just be a switch / wifi point for the Digital Voice service, by feeding it an ethernet cable from the Asus and all will work okay?

The other option is to have the old landline number on permanent divert to my mobile phone - is that something BT could offer?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 77

The SH2 needs to connect to the ONT and the Asus to the SH2 rather than the other way round. Hence all your traffic will need to traverse the SH2.

NAT is the process of translating your public IP address to the private addresses of your devices on your LAN. If you connect 2 routers together LAN port to WAN port then this process is repeated, double natting.

0 Ratings