cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Getting rid of the -5 on the Wireless network name

Go to solution

I am a new BT Customer and have a BT Smart Hub Type A Router.

My requirement: I have been having separated 2.4 & 5G Wireless networks configured on the routers in the past and my quest currently is to reuse my previous  2.4G and 5G names on the BT Smart Hub Router so that I don't have to go changing network configurations on 30+ devices set up to talk to Wifi.

The Problem: With this BT Router, when i enable splitting the 2.4G & 5G Wireless network SSID's, I am able to successfully edit the 2.4G and 5G SSID's, however not able to get rid of the "-5" at the end of the 5GHz WIFI SSID name.

For e.g. 2.4G SSID: apply, 5G SSID: banana-5. I am able to change the 5G network name to say "cherry-5", but in no circumstances am I able to get rid of the "-5" at the end.

Troubleshooting:

* Have done a factory reset as adviced by Customer Services - Hasn't helped

Customer Services say this looks like an error on the router and if a factory reset doesn't solve it, they'd be happy to swap a different router to see if this solves the problem. I have got a feeling thsi might repeat on other routers too.

Has anyone been able to remove the "-5" on 5G SSID name ? If yes, what Router was it on ?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Getting rid of the -5 on the Wireless network name

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum. @sharda540 

Possibly this post https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Smart-Hub-wifi-network-names-problem/m-p/174141...

And the posts after it.

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks a ton @Keith_Beddoe  & @humps . Life saver you two are. 

It was good that i reached out here for help which has potentially saved a lot of effort in me fiddling with wireless settings on all my devices + the unnecessary router swap which has now been avoided.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I had that thread archived in my forum RSS feed, so it was quick to find Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Since BT have removed the linked page, please find the solutions below depending on hub version. Please note that I don't believe either will work with BT Smart Hub 2.

For BT Home Hub:

1. Login to the SmartHub admin page as normal with admin password, navigate to change wifi settings where you can now type in separate SSID for 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.

2. Press F12 to activate Chrome Developer Tools. I move the Dev Tools panel to bottom of my screen for easy of use but it is not important where it is.

3. Click 'Console' tab of the Dev Tools panel. (we'll use the javascript console to override AngularJS values in the page, overriding the javascript auto -5 correct)

4. At the Console where '>' is shown, type the below, replace XXXX with your own SSID and hit enter:

angular.element(document.getElementById('wifi5SSID')).scope().wifi5G.ssid = "XXXXX"

5. Then type the below command to apply the SSID on to the screen

angular.element(document.getElementById('wifi5SSID')).scope().$apply()

6. The page should now show your SSID without -5, if not, give up before you ruin anything unless you know what you're doing!

7. Click Save.

8. If it comes up with red pop-up as it warned my about password strength, it would have ruined the SSID. If you see the SSID is changed behind the red pop-up, repeat step 4 and 5 to re-correct the SSID before hitting 'Accept' on the pop-up.

9. Your desired SSID should be saved without and -5 suffix.

For BT Smart Hub:

1. Activate Chrome Developer Tools (or Safari or Firefox. They all have the equivalent debug console).

2. Login to the SmartHub admin page as normal with admin password, navigate to change wifi settings. Turn on the "Separate Bands" toggle so that you can type in separate SSID for 2.4 and 5Ghz.

3. Change a character or two in the 5Ghz's network name, so that the Save button becomes active

4. Click 'Console' tab of the Dev Tools panel to inject javascript commands to the webpage.

5. At the Console where '>' is shown, type the below, replacing MYSSID-5G with your own SSID and hit enter:

document.getElementById('wifi_Z2_input').value = "MYSSID-5G"

6. Click Save.

7. If it comes up with red pop-up as it warned my about password strength, it would have ruined the SSID. If you see the SSID is changed behind the red pop-up, repeat step 5 to re-correct the SSID before hitting 'Accept' on the pop-up.

8. Your desired SSID should be saved without and -5 suffix. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@andy_g wrote:

Since BT have removed the linked page, please find the solutions below depending on hub version.

Not surprised, you are replying to a 3 year old post.

0 Ratings