Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MACH1
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

HH5 local storage

Go to solution

We have a new installation with a HomeHub5 router and I would like to have a facility to store locally some shared files (eg. spreadsheets etc) so that these can be accessed by devices logged into the home network. I have plugged a USB memory stick into the USB port on the back of the router and it appears on the router setup/configuration screen. However it is not appearing as an attached device when I look at the network on my laptop.

I know at some point it WAS appearing, but it seems to be 'hit and miss' at best. Can anyone advise on the best way to use the USB port to get local storage whilst ensuring that it is always available/visible on the network? Are USB memory sticks going to be a better/worse option than a small 2.5 inch USB HDD?

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: HH5 local storage

Go to solution

I think it's going to depend on the device that's trying to see the USB stick.

If you have Windows PC I think you'll need network discovery enabled to be able to browse to it with file explorer. In File Explorer if you click on "Network" it should tell you if discovery is not enabled. See Enabling or disabling network discovery for details.

Without network discovery you should be able to see the USB stick as a shared drive from a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd) if you run net view \\bthub.home

C:\Users\smf22>net view \\bthub.home
Shared resources at \\bthub.home

BT Home Hub 5.0B File Server

Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
usb1 Disk created by auto-share
The command completed successfully.

Even without network discovery, once you know what the share name is you can then map it as a network drive from File Explorer by entering \\bthub.home\usb1 (change the USB1 to whatever is seen above).

A USB stick is not going to be any better or worse than than a 2.5" disk other than their lifetime / mean time between failures is probably not as good. I'd imagine that's not going to be an issue as it's probably not going to be heavily used.

Be aware though that the USB port on a Home Hub 5 is only USB2 so transfer rate is pretty limited; 480 megabits (60 MBytes) per second is theoretical maximum so copy gigabyte size files is slow. Real copy is nowhere near as fast Smiley Sad

usb2-transfer.png

Regards

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

The USB port on the Homehubs has always been poor. If you are wanting to share files/music/movies etc you would be far better buying a proper NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. You can get them with various capacities and will it work faster/better than using USB.

0 Ratings
MACH1
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi

Thanks for your posting, this is very helpful. I checked the discovery box and it was all set up OK - which I thought was the case, but for some reason it still did not pick up the USB mounted drive, but I have mapped it now, so I think this should resolve matters. I'll keep an eye on things after a few reboots, but initial results show that I CAN now read and write data to the USB device - at least for now! 🙂

0 Ratings
MACH1
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for your response. I had read from a review of the BT Hub5 that the USB2 port was (probably) the major shortcoming of what is otherwise a pretty good piece of kit - certainly as a 'free-supplied router'. I don't think the speed is going to be a serious issue as The files are not likely to be huge.

I HAD previously got some experience with a NAS device from Buffalo - but unfortunately (and missed out of the review before I bought it!) it needed to be powered up (with a seperate PSU) and had the disk running constantly - even when not saving files. The device was noisy and not suitable for my current needs. I think I'll use the USB memory stick for now, and if I have any problems I may keep an eye open for a cheap smallish USB HDD.

0 Ratings