cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Help identifying slow speeds and high ping

Hi everyone. I am having a intermittent issue with speeds and really high ping and I am looking for some help trying to nail down the cause. I am not 100% convinced its a line fault.

I would say a couple of months ago I noticed in the evening maybe ever other week speeds dropped from my normal 18-20 right down to 1-2 and the speed test was having a hard time even getting started. Ping was anywhere between 400-2000.

It went away on its own and I didn't think much more of it and I had blamed my TP link Deco's tbh.

Now that I am working from home since the start of this month it's happened to me several times this month to the point I was not able to keep working.

I confirmed its not the TP link mesh system as it was happening when plugged directly into my BT Hub as well, with the tp link disconnected. I borrowed an old hub 4 with an Openreach modem and things appeared to go back to normal.

However this week again it's been happening.

I have a new smart hub 2 plugged in and the issue happens both over Wi-Fi and wired connections.

Most of the time the connection is perfect but it happens enough now to disrupt things. BT ran checks on the line and it all came back OK.

Can anyone give me any advise of what road I could go down in terms of investigations or possible causes? I know how prone Wi-Fi can be to interference but anything that could impact a wired connection as well?

My connection is FTTC Normal speeds of around 18-20. 

Thanks all!

Matt

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Help identifying slow speeds and high ping

You can test the line yourself. 17070 option 2, the line should be silent between announcements, best with corded phone. You might get a dull hum with cordless.

Have you tried the test socket with filter to see if that improves it?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks. I will try the line test. I have a master socket 5C SSFP, never actually tried using a micro filter in the test socket with those does it still work?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Yes.

0 Ratings