Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imacken
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Home Hub 5 LAN ports - 1 Gigabit?

Go to solution

I was under the impression that all the LAN ports on the HH5 were 1Gigabit, yet, I see this on the HH manager screen.

Only 1 is 1Gb/s!

Is this correct?

sg.jpg

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Home Hub 5 LAN ports - 1 Gigabit?

Go to solution

They are all capable of 1Gb/s, if the connected device and its connecting cable, support that speed.

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks. All devices and cables are 1Gb/s capable, so why does the graphic show 100Mb/s?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
it will only show a Gb if the device connects at it it can be capable but just not connecting at the speed
0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for that.  I messed around with various cables, swapping them, etc. and now everything is at 1Gb/s! I don't really understand that, but nevermind.

In practical terms is there a difference between 100Mb/s and 1Gb/s in the performance of a NAS, for example?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

@imacken wrote:

Thanks for that.  I messed around with various cables, swapping them, etc. and now everything is at 1Gb/s! I don't really understand that, but nevermind.

In practical terms is there a difference between 100Mb/s and 1Gb/s in the performance of a NAS, for example?

Sometimes the auto-negotiation arrives at the wrong speed.

As far as a NAS is concerned, it depends on the data transfer rate that the NAS is capable of. Most are quite slow in that respect.

Which NAS do you have?

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

WD MyCloud for my sins!  Nothing but hassles, which is why I've been asking about the connection speeds.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

The review on this page

http://www.trustedreviews.com/wd-my-cloud-review-setup-performance-verdict-page-2

Says

Gigabit Ethernet read speeds hit a stunning 92.4MBps (739.2Mbps) with writes of 71.9MBps (575.2Mbps).

So in theory, a 1GB/s physical Ethernet link rate would be best, however I would not rely on the home hub`s internal Ethernet switch if you want a relaiable connection. I would use a separate Ethernet switch to connect any wired devices together, and then connect that switch to a single port on the home hub.

That will ensure that the home hub only has to deal wuth the Internet, and any wireless connections, and is less likely to do a random reboot.

Also any reboot would not affect wired interconnectivity.

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks Keith.

Can you recommend a switch?  Looking on Amazon, there seeems to be hundreds starting from a very cheap price!  What should I be looking for?

0 Ratings
imacken
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

What about this?

TP-LINK TL-SG1005D V6 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch

0 Ratings