Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rocketnige
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Homehub 5 - wifi connection problems persist

Hi,

I switched to BT Infinity 1 about 8 weeks ago. I'm generally very happy with the broadband connection, particularly on machines which have wired ethernet connections to the Homehub 5 unit - but from the very start I've had problems with wifi connections.

Speeds seem good for this area (BT Wholesale Performance Test gives 36.38 Mbps down / 6.90 Mbps up / 26.00 ms latency). But I'm getting persistent problems with the wifi connection, which I thought had been sorted out with earlier firmware updates to the HH5. I see it on all wireless connections, even on devices which are only a few metres from the hub, with clear line-of-sight. 

I've searched the forums and tried everything I can find - splitting the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz channels, turning off the 5 GHz channel,  changing lease time, using manual channel selection rather than smart wireless, numerous resets. I've cycled through all the channels, and have settled on the ones which wireless diagnostics suggest is strongest - but nothing solves the problem. It was never an issue with the earlier Homehub 2 which was in the same location, and which I'm now looking at whistfully... 

I've been supplied with a BT home Hub 5 (Type A), Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 Last updated 04/05/16. 

To reiterate: the broadband connection itself is good, and I see no interruptions on my wired machines. It's definitely the wifi link between the HH5 and devices which is the problem.

Can anyone suggest other things to try? Should a HH5 supplied so recently have been a Type B?

Thanks

Nigel

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Homehub 5 - wifi connection problems persist

The hubs have different chipsets but are basically the same so wireless would be very similar. You cannot order a type A other B  it is just pot luck which version you get

Having used a hh5a for a few years I never had a wireless problem. Is it possible there is something in your home that is causing interference 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rocketnige
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - just back from a trip and catching up.

That's useful information on the HH chipset.

I appreciate that you might not have had a wireless problem with HH5, but that doesn't address the issue: I'm having one, and so are lots of others if these forums are anything to go by - for example, this poster is describing something very similar (my machines also see the FON channel as being preferential), and there are plenty of others:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Poor-wifi-signal-and-reliability-on-Homehub-5/m-...

To be clear: this was a straight swap-out of the HH2 with the HH5. HH2 never gave any wireless problems; its reach through our house was good, and dropped connections were not an issue. I signed up to fibre, disconnected the HH2 box, put HH5 in its place and turned on - nothing else changed. At that instant, I saw signal strengths decrease, and connections drop on all my wireless devices. No amount of channel changing, channel separating, disabling of 5 Ghz, etc, or turning off of other devices (we've even tried turning off the fridge and cooker!) is helping. Connections are dropped even when standing right next to the hub.

Any advantage I should have gained by having fibre broadband is negated by this. I've had to bring back my HH2 into operation as a repeater, just to compensate for the poor HH5 performance - which is pretty crazy. I think there's a fundamental issue here: I'm not able to take advantage of the high speed service I'm paying for. It's demonstrable, as anyone visiting my house can witness. There must surely be some sort of recourse to remedy this?

Thanks

Nigel

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

if you have tried all the standard fixes the last resort is factory reset and if still a problem then phone customer services and get a replacement which should be free as long as you are still in fixed term contract

alternative is buy a 3rd party router (no need for modem/router) and use it in conjuction with the openreach modem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings