cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Hub settings question

Following on from my recent enquiring and generally, my hub advance settings show:

• Hub Advanced settings
    Connection status
    Connection status:
    Connected
  • Downstream:
    32.40 Mbps
  • Upstream:
    7.20 Mbps
  • Upstream
    This tells you the speed at which data is being uploaded from your BT Business Smart Hub to the BT network.

Does this indicate the the range that the upload and download speed that the data be transferred in and so any alterations to my tech would not change the outcome?

The business smart hub was provided by BT at their recommendation in January 2018 when I had added smart devices following a failed burglary and would this affect my usage for domestic purposes?

Thank you in advance

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Hub settings question

That is just your connection stats to your hub  your actual download/upload speed will be lower than the connection speeds.

With a business hub are you a business user?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

No, I think maybe BT provided that in error and I didn't really appreciate the difference when I installed it at the time.  The need for CCTV and other smart devices meant I had to change my old hub that wasn't up to the job quickly and that is what BT recommended at the time.

I have checked the difference between the two and the only difference is that t he business one has the capability for static ip addresses if required.

I am viewing the settings via the hub manager and just checking if that is a summary latest speeds achieved  or maximum settings for up and downloads.

It's years since I have supported routers and they were on business premises and working at home last year was on a remote desktop and so connection speed was not an issue.  I am just appraising myself for a role I am looking at today.  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Thank you re line one answer.  It sounds like it is the same as the matrix I posted in reply to Sage yesterday.

I am still on my quest but have updated myself in a lot of other areas for roles that don't offer access by remote desktop.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thank you, I realised after posting it that someone told me that but it was displayed from the stats table.

BT supplied the business hub after I requested the best one to install quickly to attach smart devices for security. I wasn't a business although I am self employed seeking currently.

I

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thank you.  I have just had a call from BT following the escalation and they have confirmed that properties that are fed from the cabinet by copper are capped by the provider at 7.2.  They said the only way in Milton Keynes that you can increase that is when the fibre to property from the cabinet is installed.

We had fibre cables installed to all homes a couple of years ago and the provider is Vodafone who can offer higher speeds but they are not taking on new clients currently.  My preference is to stay with BT though as their customer service is high even if things go wrong.

I have found on the internet reports of the default settings on Windows 10 impinges the local performance on your device and I have followed old school steps on the Microsoft site about settings that can be disabled to speed up device responses.  

Although my speed will not be improved I am grateful for the reply and as I am now using my own device and not having the benefits of a terminal server for maintenance, I realise that I should look more closely at the software settings I am using.  I also realise that I need to learn more about the hub now that I am not accessing a company network via a remote desktop as a line fault that was spotted by yourselves will make more of a difference now.

Thank you for your help and if I may, I will be back.  I will need to learn more about the hub and line check and maintenance.

0 Ratings