Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith66
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

I have a problem connecting to my CCTV cameras

Go to solution

I cannot accces my home CCTV cameras on my PC phone or iPad - we like to check our cameras if we go away
The cameras are working fine and display on the DVR
I have not made any changes to the DVR
I have not made any alterations to the  BT Router since it was set up
I have a dyndns address which is kept up to date with the dyndns Updater
My IP address in what's my IP address matches the IP address in my dyndns account - I have re- checked this again today before posting my problem
On my iPhone and IPad I have Ipcam Viewer Pro App which I have had for 3 years
I have tried another app in case Ipcam viewer had gone wrong but that also failed to connect
I use DVR Remote Desktop on the PC at home and I can view the CCTV cameras on the PC via DVR Remote Desktop
I do not know whether this is relevant or not but this problem happened immediately after we had a problem with the BT landline from which our BT broadband runs
We have BT Broadband by phone as there is no fibre optic as we are quite rural
The land line went down on the 22 November because a telegraph pole serving our house and 3 others fell down because it had rotted and took the cabling down with it
After battling with BT for a month to carry out remedial work by installing a new pole and cabling service was restored on 20th December but only on a temporary basis - temporary cabling overground from another pole
We still await the restoration of a new pole and cabling to effect permanent restoration
When temporary service was restored I checked CCTV access on phone and iPad and discovered the problem
So far despite spending a long time trying to find out what has gone wrong I have been unable to regain access
Can anyone help please

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: I have a problem connecting to my CCTV cameras

Go to solution

You had a similar problem at the start of this year.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Cannot-connect-to-CCTV-DVR/m-p/1579872#M118560

Assuming that you have checked everything again, what sort of speed are you getting on your ADSL connection, and which BT home hub are you using?

Have you checked that the port forwarding is configured correctly, and you can see the port open using a wesite like canyouseeme ?

Its not unknown for the home hub to forget configurations, so a factory reset, and then setting up port forwarding again, usually fixes the problem, especially if your DVR is not using a static IP address outside of the DHCP range, 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63 is outside of the range, and tends to avoid a lot of the home hub problems.

0 Ratings
Keith66
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you Keith
Yes I remember the problem which I had earlier this year and complications with port forwarding etc and the excellent help which I received 
Everything has been fine since then until now
I had to change Broadband from Virgin with whom I had been for many years because Virgin ditched all Adsl customers and I then chose BT
I have BT Hub 4
As for speed I do not know
I have just logged in to my BT account to check the speed but cannot do so - there is an amber warning which says that I reported a fault on 22/11 and " you may experience problems with your other products below whilst we fix your fault
Broadband - slow speed , dropping connection, no connection "
I know very little about phone lines but I spent the best part of Monday & part of Tuesday with engineers on site whilst they explored ways of a temporary solution for me and my neighbours and they told me that the temporary solution was to take connections from a "Cab " about 500 yards away and somehow take cabling over land through other land ( I got permission for the engineers from the land owner ) then into our garden and then up to our house and onwards to the other neighbours affected by the fault - I left them to it & the temporary service was up and running by Tuesday afternoon
I was present when the gardener for a neighbour complained to an engineer that his boss was only getting speeds of 2 - I heard the engineer say that at the cab the speed was 5
Could it be that low speed is causing my problem
To revert to your other questions I have just checked can you see me and the answer is no - when I asked it to check the port the error message said failed because timed out
I have not yet been into the hub settings because other things have intervened on my time but as soon as I get some more free time I will take a look
I have not only had problems with CCTV connection but my HP wireless printer would not connect wirelessly ( I had to get a USB cable ) - the solution to that one was to uninstall the printer and reinstall
The above is the up to date state of play

0 Ratings
Keith66
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Port forwarding is blank in the Hub 4 

i can see that there are boxes to complete to restore the device - my DVR but I am not sure of what to put in some of the boxes 

is there any BT guidance on this or can the Forum help me to reconstruct the port forwarding for my DVR 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

The ports that you would need to open depends on which DVR you have.

The BT guide is here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8790/~/how-do-i-set-up-port-forwarding-on-my-bt-hub%3...

0 Ratings
Keith66
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Success - I made an early start and started to fill in the options in the boxes and drop downs

The one I didn't quite understand was the Protocol - Port Range - Translate to but had a go and it worked

I can view our CCTV cameras on Iphone and Ipad

0 Ratings
Keith66
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you Keith

I was just typing my post when yours came in 

Many thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@Keith66 wrote:

Success - I made an early start and started to fill in the options in the boxes and drop downs

The one I didn't quite understand was the Protocol - Port Range - Translate to but had a go and it worked

I can view our CCTV cameras on Iphone and Ipad

Protocol is usually TCP

"Port range" for IP cameras is normally just a single port number as specified in the IP or DVR manual.

"Translate to" is normally the same as the port number.

Any other options can be left blank.

Anyway, I see you have managed to get it working.

Keith66
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Many thanks for all your help Keith

i have made a note of your explanation re Port Range etc in case things go wrong in the future 

0 Ratings