Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christ1945
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

IPv 6 and links to Windows Update service and Microsoft Exchange

Go to solution

Around 21 February 2017 both my PC and Laptop stopped being able to link to the Microsoft Windows Update service. Also the Office 365 email link link to the Microsoft Exchange became very unreliable - causing Outlook to cease responding frequently. Other internet links seemed to work OK.

A full trouble-shooting session by my IT professional son eventually found that the problem stemmed from IPv6 (Internet Protocol version 6). As a temporary solution, he switched IPV6 off, and that immediately resolved the problems.

I know that BT has been progressively rolling out IPv6, so guess that it was rolled out to me around 21 February, when the problems started.

My router is a BT Home Hub 6, which had previously worked robustly, and again seems fine since IPv6 was switched off. Both PC and Laptop are running Windows 10, which I keep up-to-date (provided I can link to the Update service!).

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Might there be an issue with the way BT has set up IPv6, which is causing the problems with links to Windows Update service and Microsoft Exchange?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: IPv 6 and links to Windows Update service and Microsoft Exchange

Go to solution

I don't think it's an IPv6 issue per see.  Possibly a Hub issue, the Hub 6 has had it's share of them.  If it had been a BT IPv6/Microsoft incompatibility you would have heard about it long before now.

I have no issues with IPv6 here Win 7 and 10, then again I don't use a Hub.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Liam, what modem/router are you using to get IPv6 working? I don't confess to totally understand the technicalities but it seems not all IPv6 enabled routers are compatible with BT's version, something to do with the address prefix being a 56 and not a 64 which seems more universal.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Initially I was using the FritzBox 3390, on it's own in place of a Hub 5.   It's an ADSL/VDSL modem router combo.  Combo like the Hubs but better.  It wouldn't suit everyone, though, no IPTV support.

Got a DrayTek Vigor 130 modem so I can swap routers for testing and not upset DLM.

If you are looking at getting a Hub replacement then good ones are Asus, Billion, DrayTek, TP-Link, all support IPv6 properly, (TP-Link firmware update fixes in the works).  They should, dependant on model, support TV etc.  Just check the specs before buying.

DrayTek and FritzBox are among the more expensive ones, some of the others can be sore on the wallet depending on the model you go for.  TP-Link seem to be quite reasonably priced and users with them on the forum are all happy with the performance.

The one you decide on is really down to features you want and the price you are willing to pay.

The listed makes all support IPv6 properly, (TP-Link firmware fix is in the beta stage just now and should be released generally soon).

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks Liam.

I do have the TP-Link Archer VR 900 v1 which is rock solid for me. Clearly IPv6 is not a problem for me at the moment but am looking ahead when it could become a problem. Fingers crossed  on the firmware update.

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

@cooperman wrote:

I do have the TP-Link Archer VR 900 v1 which is rock solid for me. Clearly IPv6 is not a problem for me at the moment but am looking ahead when it could become a problem. Fingers crossed  on the firmware update.

If the VR900 is similar to the VR600, your equipment should be able to make IPv6 connections already, albeit in a slightly clunky way. With my VR600 running the latest public firmware, PCs, laptops, iPhones etc. all had native IPv6 connections but the VR600 didn't get its own IPv6 address, because of the /56 prefix issue; so it wouldn't have been possible to access the router remotely across the WAN or set-up a huge number of subnets. With the beta firmware, that's sorted.

p

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks prinknash, hopefully the new firmware will be rolled out to all soon.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution
Double check the firewall on your machine also. I had to change some settings on bitdefender firewall to epget IPv6 to work properly. It doesn't work with the out of the box configuration
0 Ratings
christ1945
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks Jokarra. Yes we had re-checked the firewall and anti-virus settings (I use BT Net Protect, which is a McAfee product). We even tried uninstalling it, but that didn't resolve the Windows Update / Microsoft Exchange connection problems. The firewall etc settings are not currently causing any problems using IPv4.

Our suspicions remain that there is an issue with either the way BT rolled out IPv6 to me, or with the BT Home Hub 6 firmware (currently running version SG4B1002244).

0 Ratings
christ1945
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Further update.

I have had a response from BT on the issue. It says that BT does not support IPv6, and requests me to keep it turned off.

Interesting - I had done nothing specific to turn it on. That seems to have been the result of a default advanced setting in my BT Home Hub 6.

Presumably BT will get around to implementing IPv6 at some stage. Until then, I'll be leaving it disabled in my Home Hub settings.

0 Ratings