cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Landline after FTTP

I'm confused about what happens with an existing landline if I get Fibre 2 installed in an area which can get Full Fibre. I'd like to keep the existing number, but I can't work out if the copper connection is maintained or if everything will get replaced with a VoIP system, which I'm not sure that I want.

Can anyone explain this?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Landline after FTTP

@pedr 

The basics are: 

A: you get moved to FTTP with a Copper line still installed and you use a normal phone as you do now

B: you are moved to FTTP only with no Copper line installed.  You are put on Digital Voice

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 3 of 13

Thanks!

Is there a way to know or choose which will happen?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

@pedr 

As far as I am aware you can't choose.

Is it at your current property and are you currently on FTTC?

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 5 of 13

Currently on slow ADSL (10Mbps down, 0.4Mbps up) on a very old/legacy ex-Pipex product from Talk Talk.

It’s actually for my mother’s property. In case it makes any difference, as far as I can tell, it’s a BT phone line, but with calls and broadband billed by TalkTalk. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

If more than 75% of premises served by a particular exchange can get fttp then they'll stop offering the copper service. Here's an article on the switchover:

Openreach Add 51 Areas to the Copper Phone to Fibre Migration 

I got fttp last August and had a dual copper/fibre cable replace the old copper one.

Message 7 of 13

@pedr 

the phone line has nothing to do with BT Retail as it is openreach who are responsible for the landline.  as you are currently a TT customer have you posted on their forum as this is for BT Retail customers.  are you intending moving to BT Retail

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

I’m pretty sure the landline is from BT even though broadband is from TT. The line rental is paid to BT.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

if your phone bills and broadband are being paid to TT then you must be renting the landline from TT not BT Retail

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Why are BT billing for line rental then? 

This arrangement was set up many years ago, possibly before LLU (and with Tiscali before it became Talk Talk).

0 Ratings