cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Landline not ringing after FFTP installed question.

Go to solution

After FFTP was installed 4 weeks ago I decided not to take up the option of the Alexa digital phone service. That kit has been returned to BT.

My landline still has a dialling tone but I’m unable to contact BT when dialling the 0800 number. Also, it doesn’t ring when I dial it from my mobile.

Could someone please explain what I’m able to use it for? Will 999 still work? How can I contact BT via it if at all?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Landline not ringing after FFTP installed question.

Go to solution

if you have digital voice have you connected your old style phone to the socket on the back of the SH2?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

@imjolly  Sorry, not sure what you mean by digital voice. I only have DECT phones connected to existing sockets. Moving one of those phones to where the router is isn’t convenient.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

if you received an Alexa Digital phone then I would assume when you got FTTP installed you also moved to digital voice.  if that was the case then existing phone will not work on the normal phone socket and must be connected to the phone socket on the back of the SH2 - it may be covered with a sticker which you need to remove

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@imjolly , I did say in my post I decided not to take up the option of the Alexa digital phone.

But if I’m still hearing a dialling tone all I want to know is what can it be used for. Emergency? Contacting BT.

This is with it still connected to the same sockets as before.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

can you just try and connect your existing phone to the phone socket on the back of the SH2   not taking advantage of the free phone does not mean you have not been moved to Digital Voice and on DV your existing phone sockets do not work - unless you have made changes as previously posted on this forum

Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

@RayP 

The dial tone you are hearing on your copper line, would just be from the exchange line card, its unlikely there is any network routing. The move to DV, is not optional.

If your existing phone system is not near the home hub, then order the free DV adapter, and plug your phone system into that.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe  okay so the landline is effectively dead. Given I was planning to drop it anyway I’ll just disconnect all DECT phones.

The idea was to save the line rental (and annoying spam calls) but as that also applies to a FFTP package it can’t be avoided. I assume my landline number remains associated with my account whether it’s used or not.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@imjolly , I’ll try that, thanks. I’d only use it in an emergency anyway if my mobile wasn’t available.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Not sure about the landline association, but if you get ring tone when you call it from a mobile, then I would expect it to remain with your account, unless you ask it to be ceased, which I think may save you £5 a month.

0 Ratings