cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 41

Re: Line profiles still not improved 3 weeks after the power outrages & storm

You definitely have a line problem with your internet dropping connection that often .  Until that is solved and fixed you are never going to get a stable connection and then better connection speed. A line reset is pointless as the constant drops will result in you connection speed being back to very slow

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 32 of 41

@barnettgs 

Here is a suggestion which I have found seems to fix my occasional ADSL connection issue.

Within the exchange, the broadband signal is routed through a number of mechanical relay contacts, including the Line Test System (LTS), the Line Card, and the Test and Monitoring System (TAMS). 

These tend to give poor contact resistance if they are not operated for a while, and this caused low or intermittent ADSL connection issues.

One way which often clears this issue, is to ring your home number from a mobile, making sure you have a phone connected. Let it ring for about 30 seconds and then pick up the phone to stop the ringing. You can then replace the phone handset.

If you have an answering machine, the make sure it will answer the call after about at least 10 rings.

Following this procedure activates the Line Card and LTS relays and passes 80V AC ringing voltage through the contacts, and some other relays in the broadband test path. 

You may be surprised at the difference it makes. This sort of issue would not be detected by Openreach, as its on the equipment side of the MDF (Main Distribution Frame), which maybe why its not getting fixed.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 41

That is interesting, although I don't have a telephone as I gave it away thinking that we would never need it, however I will try to get one, maybe from a local charity shop.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 41

@barnettgs 

A phone is needed for the test, as it provides a return path for the ringing voltage. Another advantage is the breaking down of any high resistance joints which are not always detectible, and can occur on any of the main frame terminations, and also on crimp joints within the cabinet, where moisture has penetrated.

Quite often testing by Openreach during faulting, can temporarily clear these faults, only for them to return at a later test. This used to be a common issue on analogue Private Wires, where low volume cleared itself when a remote (RATES) test was done.

They also quite often show up as a crackling noise on phone calls, and can be heard by dialling 17070 from a phone connected to your line, and selecting option 2 (Quiet Line Test).

ADSL does have more interception points than FTTC, as its carried all the way from the exchange.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 41

I bought a new BT phone a couple of weeks ago and it seemed to did a trick although the speed on both upload/download is not at 100% what it was.  The connection is still not solid. A couple of days ago, I asked my sister to do a quiet line test as you have always advised me and she said it is fine.

And then the connection got worse in the past few days, keep getting disconnected and resync at slower speed to the point that it could not sync last night. At that, I tried the phone method again and it did the trick but this time, the speed is much slower. Here is the stats:

Screenshot 2023-09-05 103925.png

So this problem has been going on for 2 months now, I think it is pretty fair for me to call it a day and request a termination of my contract with one of two lines. Because BT can not fix this issue for me with 4 different engineers.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 36 of 41

are you using the test socket as speed seemed to improve when you last tried test socket

as you are not making any progress I have asked a forum mod to see if they can help you   they will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 37 of 41

Hi @barnettgs 

Thanks for your posts and welcome back!

I am sorry for the problems you had with both your lines after the storm in your area.  I understand one of your lines/speed is back to normal but the 2nd one is still not where it should be.  We can pick up and we'll be able to identify any instability issues.  Ultimately, the profile is banded and that's obvious.  However, as @imjolly has pointed out, we need to resolve the root cause (disconnections) first of all and then we can remove the banding and give you the full speed back again.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 41

I have tried the test socket yesterday and since then, it is still not syncing.  But then it happened same as before during the 2 months of issues with the engineer visits.

However, I have decided enough is enough, I want to offload this problematic line with BT and I have just made order for a fibre broadband from other provider that is 100x the speed I'm currently getting from a good socket! Let alone a problematic line...

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 41

Hi @barnettgs,

I can really understand how frustrated you are with this. I know that you've decided to move elsewhere but if you need help in the meantime, or help closing things off, feel free to reply back by private message with your account details. We'll be able to give you a call and help make sure everything goes smoothly.

Thank you

DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 41

Hi @DanielS 

I have sent you a message.

0 Ratings