cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Master Socket NTE5C - Extension Problem

Hi,

This subject has appeared before but I have a slight variation of the problem.

I have recently replaced my old master socket with the new NTE5c. In precedence to the Master socket there is a small BT junction box in which the 'incoming main' line drop wire has been joined to standard six strand cable, the incoming orange wire being joined to the BLUE/white wire and the incoming WHITE/blue being joined to the new WHITE/blue. These two then rune down to the master socket. All other wires are not connected to anything.

Taking the old wiring configuration from the rear of the old master socket I have connected the main incoming BLUE/white lead to terminal  'A' and the WHITE/blue lead to terminal 'B'. This was how it appeared in the old socket. When the socket was tested there was a line tone and my phone and my BT broadband connection also work as normal.

I decided to install a short extension (5 metres) at the same time, utilising the extension facility in the new socket. I have wired up the extension in accordance with the usual protocol and BT instructions (ie: '5' =White/blue; '3'=Orange; '2'= BLUE/white). All terminal connections have been 'made' and there are no loose wires. However there is no line tone on the extension socket, and it is dead.

In case of a possible line fault in the extension wiring I made up a short test extension socket (30cm) and tried this in the extension facility on the NTE5c. Again all connections were made but there was no dial tone on this test socket. It too is dead.

Consequently whilst I have full facility to the Master socket it does not support an extension. Any thoughts as to what might be happening?

Is it possible that the incoming line signal is not strong enough to support an extension?

Any help to rectify would be gratefully received.

Many thanks. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Master Socket NTE5C - Extension Problem

did you replace the faceplate before trying the extension socket as without it only test socket is connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I've tried it both with face-plate off and on. ( Clearly from what you say it wouldn't work with the face-plate off , but thanks for that tip anyway -- it's another diagnostic box ticked). However, on or off, it makes no difference.............. extension is dead.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

it is an extension socket you are using and not another master socket as an extension

the orange bell wire on 3 is not required

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings