cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 121 of 781

Re: New Email Layout

Hello,I am furious that I have the new layout.  There was no prior notice,no opt out.   I emailed the CEO to complain and a very nice gentleman rang me yesterday to apologise but they cannot reinstate the old layout.  I have been with BT 30 years and feel very let down.   Kelpie 1

0 Ratings
Message 122 of 781

Hello, I totally agree with you,it is not a better experience at all.  Visneet Singh ended chat,as did Serina.   I then asked  Biji  to put me through to a manager.   He apologised and said one would phone the next day between 10 and 12.   7.30pm ,one phoned and apologised and said he had a lot of complaints. There was nothing he could do.   I logged further email complaints and to the CEO.    I said there was no notice,no opt out choice.    How dare anyone come in my house and alter my computer.    That is how it makes me feel.      I have been with BT 30 years and I am furious.     Yesterday a very nice gentleman phoned and apologised.  He said as I do not make evening phone calls he could halve the telephone bill.   There is no way of reinstating old format.

Message 123 of 781

Hello,I hate new page.   It is so tiresome and difficult to use.  I had no notice of this happening,  there was no opt out option. I am furious,I have been with BT for 30 years.   I feel as if someone has been in my house and altered my computer.  I have complained everywhere.  Even emailed the CEO.  A very nice gentleman phoned me yesrday and apologised and said that the old page could not be reinstated.   He said as I do not make evening phone calls,he could halve my phone bills.

0 Ratings
Message 124 of 781

Hello its LindaWoo again,  I did finally receive a phone call the next day re: my complaint and was told that as there had been so many complaints about the new layout there could possibly be a change back in the future but no date for this given.  Is nothing simple anymore, it has just taken me six attempts to get to this site again with repeated requests to give feedback when finished but you are taken straight to feedback without actually getting where you want to be.  I dont need to worry though as I receive calls from India every week telling me my internet is being disconnected and I am afraid I do tell them where my internet is going to be stuck in and then I send the phone number to my personal junk box.

Message 125 of 781

Re: New BT Mail Layout

I have joined because I am having trouble with the new BT Email Layout, I am hoping someone can help me. I have read the previous comments as best I could and do not want to use a mail client, I have paid for this element within my broadband package. I am using chrome and windows 10, laptop. I have never been on a forum before so I hope this goes in the right place.

1. How do you get the pane to remain below the email permanently, like the previous version. Each time you logon you have to re-do it. Looked in settings and it is very limiting and cannot see it- backward step, am I not seeing where these availble options are.

2. Why can't you delete the emails with the keyboard del key as before. Slower to move cursor backwards and forwards and less likely to accidently delete the wrong email and have to search trash for it.

3. Why so many clicks to move an email to folders, previously it was one, now it is 4 and due to how slow the webmail is, takes longer.

4. Why are the folders on display permanently, you change it and next time logon, they are back again.
Also if you print or save an email leaving that area you have to redo all the changes you had done to the format of email screen, cannot see anything in settings to stop this.

5.When you compose an email, now in a draft separate pane, regarding the save option, you click on it and a slightly darker save pales and then turns darker again, what has happened to the purple box to say email saved?. Using this in bright conditions, you cannot tell whether the wording is light or dark, I have the settings at 1 minute save of draft, but the webmail is so slow I do not trust it is actually saved. Any chance of it been brought back or something better.
Also I have been in draft and a yellow pop up says you have new messages, went to check and no new messages, is it a bug?

6. Why is it so slow to open and display an email, the old version was instantaneous.

7. Why is it so slow to delete an email and place it in trash, the old version was instantaneous. Then it takes forever to display the next one.

8. Via my bt, sometimes you can switch accounts then sometimes it sends you to the login page. When you have switched accounts you have to redo all the settings for the email page.

In general the whole thing is slow, what is going on in the background code to make it like this. Memory and cpu usage seems to increase.

The screen is cluttered even when the my account is collapased.

I understand the adverts concept, as we have to pay for the vast amounts BT pay for sporting events, I expect the majority of BT customers do not have BT TV.

Many children set up the email for their elderly parents, but each time they logon it has changed and they are confused, BT seem not to have taken into consideration the age and ability of all its customer base. It is not stream lined in my opinion, I think this is a major fail on the focus group they held, if they did.

I will get used to it but the settings constantly changing back is a bugbear which someone can hopefully resolve for me. Hopefully the slowness can be resolved.

Thank you in advance.

Message 126 of 781

@Problems1 wrote:

I have joined because I am having trouble with the new BT Email Layout, I am hoping someone can help me. I have read the previous comments as best I could and do not want to use a mail client, I have paid for this element within my broadband package. I am using chrome and windows 10, laptop. I have never been on a forum before so I hope this goes in the right place.

1. How do you get the pane to remain below the email permanently, like the previous version. Each time you logon you have to re-do it. Looked in settings and it is very limiting and cannot see it- backward step, am I not seeing where these availble options are. Look for the "change view" button at the right hand side above the list of messages. Click on it and select "below". It should stay like that each time you log on.

2. Why can't you delete the emails with the keyboard del key as before. Slower to move cursor backwards and forwards and less likely to accidently delete the wrong email and have to search trash for it. It is not an option.

3. Why so many clicks to move an email to folders, previously it was one, now it is 4 and due to how slow the webmail is, takes longer. You can drag and drop emails into folders or it can be done with three clicks if you haven't opened the email or with two clicks if it is open.

4. Why are the folders on display permanently, you change it and next time logon, they are back again.  If it was the other way round I dare say people would complain that every time they want to drag and drop their emails into folders they have to "unhide" them.
Also if you print or save an email leaving that area you have to redo all the changes you had done to the format of email screen, cannot see anything in settings to stop this. Go into the settings and untick the box "Mail" > "Compose in rich text". it may help.

5.When you compose an email, now in a draft separate pane, regarding the save option, you click on it and a slightly darker save pales and then turns darker again, what has happened to the purple box to say email saved?. Using this in bright conditions, you cannot tell whether the wording is light or dark, I have the settings at 1 minute save of draft, but the webmail is so slow I do not trust it is actually saved. Any chance of it been brought back or something better.
Also I have been in draft and a yellow pop up says you have new messages, went to check and no new messages, is it a bug?

6. Why is it so slow to open and display an email, the old version was instantaneous. I use Chrome on W10 on a couple of computers and it opens instantaneously.

7. Why is it so slow to delete an email and place it in trash, the old version was instantaneous. Then it takes forever to display the next one.  I use Chrome on W10 on a couple of computers and it deletes instantaneously and displays the next email right away.

8. Via my bt, sometimes you can switch accounts then sometimes it sends you to the login page. When you have switched accounts you have to redo all the settings for the email page.

In general the whole thing is slow, what is going on in the background code to make it like this. Memory and cpu usage seems to increase. I generally use an email client but on the rare occassions when I use webmail I do not find it slow.

The screen is cluttered even when the my account is collapased.

I understand the adverts concept, as we have to pay for the vast amounts BT pay for sporting events, I expect the majority of BT customers do not have BT TV.

Many children set up the email for their elderly parents, but each time they logon it has changed and they are confused, BT seem not to have taken into consideration the age and ability of all its customer base. It is not stream lined in my opinion, I think this is a major fail on the focus group they held, if they did.

I will get used to it but the settings constantly changing back is a bugbear which someone can hopefully resolve for me. Hopefully the slowness can be resolved.

Thank you in advance.

i appriciate that you do not want to use an email client but if you did you would not be at the mercy of BT when they change their UI or want to display adverts.

Message 127 of 781

Thank you for replying. I am still having problems, I'll start with item 1 first.
My 14" laptop is dual core, 4gb memory, you may have a faster machine than me. Windows 10, chrome browser, adblock plus extension.

I have been using the change view option since the new layout appeared to get the pane below permanently, which it won't hence the question.

Since your reply I have been changing it to below, logging out and back in and each time the preview pane is to the RHS and not below. I have left the cookies, I have edited the cookies on the BT website, it makes no difference.

I log in and the emails are on the LHS and the blank preview pane is on the RHS, I click on change view and select below, all the emails disappear from the screen and 7 seconds later the emails appear and the pane is below. I log out and log in again and the blank preview pane is back on the RHS, I change it and 7 secs later it is below. Nothing on my laptop has changed in the way I access BT mail, only the new BT layout, the old version was instant and below permanently. I have unticked compose in rich text, sadly for me it makes no difference.
I also have put the pane below, opened an email from below, downloaded an attachment from said email and after saved it and not touched/moved the cursor, and 7 secs later the below pane has gone back to the RHS of the emails.

I have discovered tonight, if I open the BT mail on full screen, the change view pane remains below, but if I use the restore down button to reduce the size of the google BT page to access something on the desktop the below pane reverts to the RHS, surely this cannot be correct. For 14 years using BT email I have never used full screen to log into BT Mail and the pane was always below the emails.

Is this scenario happening to anyone else? Is this a planned change or a bug that needs fixing?

Thanks in advance.

Message 128 of 781

@Problems1 wrote:

Thank you for replying. I am still having problems, I'll start with item 1 first.
My 14" laptop is dual core, 4gb memory, you may have a faster machine than me. Windows 10, chrome browser, adblock plus extension. My laptop is a lower spec than yours ad my PC is a higher spec. As I said I have no problem with either.

I have been using the change view option since the new layout appeared to get the pane below permanently, which it won't hence the question.

Since your reply I have been changing it to below, logging out and back in and each time the preview pane is to the RHS and not below. I have left the cookies, I have edited the cookies on the BT website, it makes no difference.

I log in and the emails are on the LHS and the blank preview pane is on the RHS, I click on change view and select below, all the emails disappear from the screen and 7 seconds later the emails appear and the pane is below. I log out and log in again and the blank preview pane is back on the RHS, I change it and 7 secs later it is below. Nothing on my laptop has changed in the way I access BT mail, only the new BT layout, the old version was instant and below permanently. I have unticked compose in rich text, sadly for me it makes no difference.
I also have put the pane below, opened an email from below, downloaded an attachment from said email and after saved it and not touched/moved the cursor, and 7 secs later the below pane has gone back to the RHS of the emails.

I have discovered tonight, if I open the BT mail on full screen, the change view pane remains below, but if I use the restore down button to reduce the size of the google BT page to access something on the desktop the below pane reverts to the RHS, surely this cannot be correct. For 14 years using BT email I have never used full screen to log into BT Mail and the pane was always below the emails.

Is this scenario happening to anyone else? Is this a planned change or a bug that needs fixing?

On the few occassions that I use webmail I always view it in full screen mode and it behaves as I would expect it to however after havig read your post I tried it in a minimized view and it behaves as you have described. It may have something to do with the email no longer having a different mode if you are using a mobile device or computer, it is meant to be adaptive. I remeber when it first came out that someboody commented on it being poor on smaller screens so it would appear that it is just one of the many problems that are a design fault and not a bug.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Message 129 of 781

I agree with you 100 % .I can only use basic computer skills. This profoundly affects my life.I cannot imagine the cynical way that BT have behaved.  There was no notice,no opt out option.  I am absolutely furious.  It feels as if someone has come into my front room and altered my computer without my permission.   I have been with BT over 30 years.  I am really shocked. 

Regards,   Kelpie1

Message 130 of 781

Hello Linda Woo ,   I hate this new page.    I find it incredibly difficult to use as I have only basic computer skills but I was completely at home with old format.   My only way of daily contact with my sister in Ireland is with messenger.   I am sure BT have  made a bad error with our rights re GDPR,General Data Protection Act,May 2018.  I looked at the 7 principles and fairness is one of them and I feel that we have not been treated fairly.  No notice,no opt out.   Not good enough,

Kind regards,  Kelpie1