Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rach111
Contributor
Message 1 of 45

No internet connection and confusing event Log

Go to solution

I haven't been able to access the internet since Saturday afternoon. I have a Smart Hub which is mostly showing a solid orange light but sometimes switching to flashing orange or to blue (when it is blue I still can't access the Internet although the BT Smart Hub manager says connected).

The smart hub manager says that the firmware was updated around the same time the internet stopped working (I don't know whether this is cause, effect or coincidence).

The event log is extensive (listing several thousand events in the last half and hour or so). Most start with BR_LAN: or ppp1:

Unfortunately the event log is largely gibberish to me. Can anyone help me make sense of it?

BT have said they will send an engineer out next Saturday, but 8 days without internet will be hard for me, so I am trying to see if there is anything I can do before then.

The following seem to occur repeatedly in the event log:

ppp1: PPPoE error: timeout

ppp1:Revoked prefix=

BR_LAN: Allocated prefix= 

thank you in advance for any help or advice.

edit: My Hub stats are as follows:

BT Hub 6a

Firmware version: SG4B10002244

Firmware updated: 21-Jan-2017

Board Version: 1.0

Gui Version: 1.32.0

DSL uptime: 0 days 0 hours 23 minutes

Data rate: 19.00kps / 67.00kbps

Maximum date rate : 19000 / 71709

Noise margin: 6 / 0

Line attenuation 9

Signal attenuation

VPI/VCI: 0 / 38

Modulation: G_993_2_Annex_B

Latency type: Fast Path

Data sent / received: 0MB Uploaded / 0MB Downloaded

0 Ratings
44 REPLIES 44
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 45

Re: No internet connection and confusing event Log

Go to solution
I take it you have tried rebooting the Hub? Have you also disabled smart set up?

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Rach111
Contributor
Message 3 of 45

Go to solution

Hi Stuart, thank you for replying.

Yes I have tried rebooting the hub. I don't know whether I have smart set up enabled/disabled, I will check when I get home (unfortunately as I can't access the Internet whilst at home I may be slow to respond).

0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 45

Go to solution
You should probably log this a fault

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Rach111
Contributor
Message 5 of 45

Go to solution

I reported the fault on Saturday 21st when my internet stopped working.

They said they would send an engineer the following Saturday, but then messaged to cancel this as they said the fault was outside and they would fix it yesterday. Then when we called to check yesterday they said they had changed their minds about this and now an engineer will visit next Tuesday 31st.

This is very frustrating to have no internet for such a long time and we still have no idea what the problem is.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 45

Go to solution

Do you have an old Hub 5 or other VDSL modem/router or have a neighbour/friend who could loan you one?

I've seen people on here reporting problems with the '***** Hub' connecting, and when they put their old Home Hub 5 back on, things simply burst into life.

Regards

0 Ratings
Rach111
Contributor
Message 7 of 45

Go to solution

thank you for replying.

unfortunately I got the smart hub because my hub 5 broke, so I don't have another one to try.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 45

Go to solution

Do you have a neighbour that you could borrow one from, even if just as a test? Alternatively, you always go down the path many others have and invest in a third party router such as a TP-Link. The TD-W9970 is a VDSL modem/router and currently only £36 from Amazon.

And with the returns policy of some on line retailers, you could get one tomorrow and return it later if you so chose.

Regards

Rach111
Contributor
Message 9 of 45

Go to solution

Weirdly the hub manager currently lists status as "connected" on the home page but when I click the status section for more details it says connection status "no service".

Does anyone know what this means?

The event log is still full of PPPoE error:timeout etc. only bizarrely the dates and times are now listed incorrectly - all the log messages are dated just after midnight on the 1st January even though they seem to be happening now.

Edit: the dates and times in the event log are now back to normal.

The events are mostly ppp1:TR69 "unable to send inform message" and "connectivity has failed" etc. 

There are also numerous BR_LAN:LAN neighbour discovery messages, with things being set active or inactive.

Does anyone know what these things mean?

Also I have arranged to borrow someone else's smart hub tomorrow to see if my hub is the issue.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 45

Go to solution

Not sure what no service means; it would normally show 'not connected'. Do you see the same if you go to Advanced Settings -> Broadband?

The time was incorrect as the Hub has been rebooted and as there's no Internet connection, it's currently unable to connect to an Internet 'time server' to get the correct time. The default 'start time' for many computer systems is called 'epoch' or 'Unix time' which is 00:00:00 January 1 1970.

EDIT: If the time is now correct it would seem to indicate connectivity again. Ignore the LAN neighbour discovery messages. This is the Hub seeing an IPv6 neighbour, and certain versions of the Hub 6 firmware fill the log with these even when everything is OK.

Do you have Internet connectivity now? For a simple test, if you have a Windows PC go to the command prompt and type ping 8.8.8.8 and see if you get a response.

Regards