cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Odd ADSL profile change on 15th July 2023

Go to solution

I use a TP Link TD-W9970 on ADSL which normally shows ADSL2+. That evening the connection dropped and would not reconnect. I tried a spare W9970 configured the same, and that would not connect. 

A BT Home Hub 4 did connect, so that seemed to indicate an issue with both W9970, which is not likely. Both are manually configured for ADSL2+.

Resetting one of them and allowing it to automatically detect the connection type restarted the connection, but the connection type was shown as ADSL_G.dmt.bis  and not ADSL2+.

From what I have read, ADSL_G.dmt.bis and ADSL2+ are essentially the same, so I am wondering if BT have been reconfiguring the ADSL equipment (MSAN), to present a different profile.

The only difference seems to be is an increase in upload connection speed, and a slight drop in download speed.

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt.bis

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 1231 9295
Max Rate (Kbps) 1248 9348
SNR Margin (dB) 6.1 3.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 20.9 33.5
Errors (Pkts) 0 0

Locking the W9970 profile to ADSL2+ again, causes the connection to drop.

Its rather odd.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Odd ADSL profile change on 15th July 2023

Go to solution

I assume nobody is using the same equipment on ADSL.

I wonder if the change of profile is some form of preparation to move ADSL customers onto BT Digital voice, especially as the upload speed has increased?

No indication that is happening, apart from a banner when I view my bill.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Just to conclude this thread.

I have reverted back to using the Home hub 4 with wireless and DHCP turned off. I am using the DHCP  server which is a function of Pi-hole, which I have been using for a long time to filter out adverts and trackers, which makes best use of a 9mb ADSL connection, (it used to be 12mbs).

BT have definitely changed the ADSL2+ profile, and this is also reflected in the broadband availability results, which now show a lower maximum connection speed.

Not sure what is going to happen when BT move ADSL customers onto BT Digital Voice, I assume they will have to send out a free Smart Hub 2. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Sorry to unconclude thread but I thought that we got a letter before changes. If not I am beginning to wonder about a new pole out back with 2 large loops of some or other. Along with people knocking on doors where I live (EE+BT)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@DavidCo 

Not sure how your post relates to my thread, as its to do with possible ADSL profile changes. There is VDSL available if I wanted to pay more, and be stuck with a new 24 month contract. No chance of FTTP here as all DIG cabling, not that I would want it anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

It is connected by the 'doing away with copper'

Sorry about that

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@DavidCo 

I expect the copper "D" sides are going to be here forever, as the cost to dig up all of the paths and gardens, would be prohibitive, especially as VM did that to the paths, many years ago, and made a terrible mess installing their co-axial/copper pair cabling.

For most people, a 38Mbs VDSL connection is more than enough. Houses here were built in 1980.

All I can see happening is that the PSTN equipment will be turned off, and the voice path being carried over the broadband (DV) which originates on a copper MSAN in the exchange. The local exchange is a fairly major 21cn node so unlikely to ever close.

0 Ratings