cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Odd named guest wifi networks have appeared

Hi,

My SH2 rebooted at midnight last night and since then I've had two more "guest" wifi networks appear. They are named wl0-guest2 and wl1-guest2. If I connect to them, I get the BT splash page asking if I'd like to purchase some BT wifi time. Is this something new and expected or something else?

I can see via a wifi analyzer tool that they are being advertised from my SH2 (i also have a complete wifi disc), looks like wl1-guest2 is on 2.4Ghz and the wl0-guest2 is on 5Ghz. Anyone else seeing this? The SH2 has been live for 16 days now on a new FTTP service. Its been rock solid since it went in etc. 

Thanks,

Michael.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Odd named guest wifi networks have appeared

mforrest_0-1599141244288.png

When i go to try to "Manage BT wifi" via the BT site, I get the above. I was going to see if disabling BT wifi removed the wl0-Guest2 and wl2-Guest2 networks....

I can't be the only person seeing these?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 11

No such problem here. Have you tried restarting your hub or, if that doesn't work, reset it

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Restarted the hub and I'll give the SH2 a reset later on and see if that helps. It's not causing an issue as such, just a change in what's being advertised. 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 11

Can you also see BTWi-Fi and BTWiFi-X? I'm wondering if something has gone wrong and you're seeing these SSIDs'as the guest networks you describe instead of by those names

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Just the following 3 networks :-

mforrest_0-1599143725892.png

Which have confirmed they are all being originated by my SH2. Will need to wait until later for the home working/family internet usage stops before resetting the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

So the reset of the SH2 and the odd named networks are gone. Although that's likely due to 

mforrest_0-1599160069025.png

Will wait and see what happens when that gets activated. The digital voice went active pretty quickly though. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I have exactley the same thing and was wondering why and how do I get rid or stop it? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Not 100% certain here, when I try to opt-out of the BT-Wifi - I get an error page as I showed earlier, I also, in the end, did a full reset of my SH2 and then restored my settings back.  It's now been almost 4 weeks and BT-WiFi hasn't gone active again and the networks haven't reappeared as yet. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

This is the same as being discussed here.

As contributors have said there, these additional SSID's are being broadcast since an update to the Smart Hub 2 and are used as hotspots to allow access to BT Wi-Fi.

The only way to get rid of them is to opt out using the link in the other thread (or by contacting BT if you have issues doing so as I have). 

It can take up to 28 days to deactivate. The trade off is once deactivated on your hub you cannot access BT Wi-Fi hotspots for free when you are out and about.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | BT TV Pro | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED