cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Physical line options

Hi,

Been trying to get an answer on this from various sources but to not much avail. Was hoping someone here had some insight...

I live in a house that was extended and remodelled before I bought it. It is cabled internally with coax for Virgin Media in a number of rooms, which is great, but not really the issue. I'd like to try out FTTP from BT, which is available in the area but I don't have a physical BT line to the house. When they extended, they did all the cabling for VM and removed the line that was there. There is a telegraph pole not all that far away, but since I moved in, there has been a house built beside mine (in between me and the telegraph pole), which means that running a new line from this pole would be inconvenient for them - it would be quite low over their front garden/driveway.

I suspect moving the pole wouldn't be all that straightforward either. What are the options in this situation? Is it a new pole somewhere or nothing? Obviously there is trunking/piping somewhere under my driveway for the VM connection, is this likely to be usable by Openreach?

Thanks for any help/advice, it's a bit of an odd one and I can't get anyone to talk to me without placing an order.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Physical line options

@redstar1 

Welcome to this user forum.

Are you sure you do not mean FTTC as that need a physical copper phone line?

Its really simple, all you do is to place an order on the BT website, and it will tell you what is available.

If any work is needed, then that will be dealt with by Openreach, you do not need to be involved, as they have all the local routing details.

You will not be able to get any help, until you have placed an order, as Openreach will not be interested.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi Keith, thanks.

I mean Full Fibre/FTTP. As mentioned, I have no line at all to the Openreach network, so I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and what options they had for connection.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

enter your address and post results  this should give some indication of what is available to you

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@redstar1 wrote:

Hi Keith, thanks.

I mean Full Fibre/FTTP. As mentioned, I have no line at all to the Openreach network, so I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and what options they had for connection.

Unless there is FTTP nearby, you will be out of luck.

Have you tried to see what is available on the BT Broadband Availability Checker, use your address checker.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

There is FTTP nearby. I'm just wondering how it gets connected to your house.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

You place an order and a survey is carried out how to best get the fibre to your premises.

Message 8 of 8

As I and @Keith_Beddoe  use dslchecker and that will show if FTTP nearby is close enough for you to get it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings