cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Problem with fibre install, engineer saying fibre has to be next to phone point?

Hello,

I ordered fibre to be installed today, and when ordering specifically asked about if i could have it in the upstairs of a converted bungalow - after this thread  https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/FTTC-some-houses-get-it-some-dont-from-same-cabinet/m... 

The person who did the sale said that they would check, which they did so I placed the order. 

Today the engineer came out to do the install, and said that the install had to be the ground floor where the phone socket is. I asked why that is  as I had checked this prior to sale and he should be doing it where I asked, his response was that it could only be installed next to the phone socket. So the situation has been left with no install.

I am at a loss with this situation, is it that BT have missed sold it by saying it can be installed upstairs, or is it the engineering not wanting to do 'extra/harder' work?

Please any advice would be really helpful. 

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Problem with fibre install, engineer saying fibre has to be next to phone point?

@pommeinzennor 

Can you please confirm whether this is an FTTP (Direct fibre into the house), or FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet and copper cable into your house?

FTTP does not come from a cabinet, and an ONT is installed in the house, at the end of the fibre as it comes in downstairs.

You can then extend the connection using Ethernet cable if you want it upstairs.

Try this BT guide https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-is--fibre-to-the-home--installed-

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Re: Problem with fibre install, engineer saying fibre has to be next to phone point?

Keith,

Thank you for the reply. It is FTTP, I wanted FTTC but was told that my property couldn't have this even though two doors down the road have it?

''FTTP does not come from a cabinet, and an ONT is installed in the house, at the end of the fibre as it comes in downstairs.'' 

This video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-6LKAPlEyk  seems to say different to what you have said?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

See if @Starwire can give you more guidance, then may post on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

There are 2 methods of delivery for FTTP and it depends on which type of delivery you have.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

I have an overhead drop cable install and I was able to request the ONT be installed upstairs away from the old copper termination point.

I have a single fibre cable coming from the pole directly into the upstairs room. It's not a hybrid fibre + copper "figure 8" cable as in the video you posted.

Openreach came the afternoon before my install and connected the drop cable to the CBT (Connectorised Block Terminal) at the top of the pole and asked me where I wanted the ONT installed.

As says it probably depends on how the Fibre is delivered to your property, Overhead or Underground.

Don't know for sure though, but thought I'd let you in on my experience with an Overhead install.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

do you know if i can check which type?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

I know the pole which is twenty meters away from the house has fibre installed on it, and the house two doors down has it from that. So I assume it would be from that?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Openreach now have Standard and Premium FTTP Installs Options.

The Standard Install guidance says Engineers should follow the existing Copper Cable Route where possible.

I don’t really remember the exact details of what can or can’t be done on the Standard and Premium because in all honesty I don’t follow them. I do what’s safest and easiest for me and what you want comes second.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Thank you for the reply.

Would you then refuse to do an install through the wall where the copper wire connects to the house (converted bungalow) and have the box the other side of the wall?

0 Ratings