cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 37

Sending mail from Apple/btinternet

Go to solution

I have been trying for over 2 weeks to restore the working of my outgoing mail from Apple mail.  The BT web mail is working fine and so is incoming mail on my Apple mail.  I have deleted the mail account twice, changed the password, updated the setting according to BT help page, turn the iMac off and on..... but still I can't send out mail.  I have IMAP and SMTP settings but get a message that the port 465 is not valid.  Anyone had similar problems??? 

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Message 2 of 37

Re: Sending mail from Apple/btinternet

Go to solution

With mail open on your iMac, go to mail,preferences,accounts. Click on btmail and then server settings. Do you see a section outgoing mail server (smtp)? What does it say?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 37

Go to solution

It says exactly what BT help page says it should and what was there before except for the new password which works on incoming mail and web mail no problem.

Account    Btinternet

User name   xxxxxxxxxxxx@btinternet.com

Password  updated to my new one.

Host name   mail.btinternet.com

Port 465 with a tick against TLS/SSL

Authentication Password

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 37

Go to solution

Please edit out your email address, this is a public forum viewable worldwide, you will get attract more spam than you know how to deal with.

Authentication should be 'Plain'

Edit: Typing whilst post edited by mod.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 37

Go to solution
Whoops sorry about that. I don't have an option 'plain'. I have had this problem at various times over the years so last time in 2018 I took a screen shot and that is what was there then which worked well for a couple of years.......
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 37

Go to solution

Apple mail does not show an option "plain" 

I have just tested working with apple mail to send from  an old BT mail account and a new one.

Both send with port 465 but also work with port 587.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 37

Go to solution

I changed the 465 to 587 and it looks like the password has been removed (faded out optional) and authentication is now none with no tick in the TLS/SSL box and is now trying to 'verify server settings' which doesn't look promising - 5 mins...... So 'unable to verify account name or password', so I have put the password back in and ticked the TLS/SSL box. However, the Account box now says Btinternet (Offline) and is verifying Server settings again but not promising once more.

I do thank you for trying to help but I don't appear to be getting anywhere.  I even tried loading my email to my husband's iPad which worked fine in and outgoing but I have now deleted that account from the iPad.  Do you think it's an Apple problem which is what my last BT Chat person proposed?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 37

Go to solution

If the account worked ok with the iPad, the problem would appear to be with your device. Make sure it isn't inadvertently capitalising the first character of the password.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 37

Go to solution

The first letter is meant to be a capital.  It would appear that it doesn't like the port 465 anymore.  My bt mail address dates back to 1997 and the Mac is 2010 so not recent!! but upgraded to High Sierra as the last possible upgrade.  I can't believe it would just stop sending mail which still receiving it OK.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 37

Go to solution

Try port25 without SSL

0 Ratings