cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: Setup, cost etc of Digital Voice

So presumably I could plug in my fax machine into the phone socket on the router then?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 15

Just reread you message and realised what you said.

You're right. Might need to keep the copper line. Unless I can find a fax to email service and do away with the fax machine (which is a bit annoying as it was only replaced last year).
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

Fax machines transmit audio tones with the data encoded on it, much like the old dial up modems. VOIP chops up the audio into packets, which are then re-assembled at the far end.

There is no continuity, so the fax will not work, the same as a modem would not work. This process does not affect speech, as there are tiny pauses in speak.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 14 of 15

@patroberwrote:

It's one of the ways I communicate with my 88 year old deaf mother. She can text but for longer messages she faxes me. Working on facetime to sign but proving a challenge!

Wouldn't iMessages be a better alternative to Fax whilst you're learning sign language?

The messages can be typed, dictated or, on some devices, even handwritten (on screen) and are sent as text

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 15

Sign language is not the issue (first language for both of us!) - just getting over the technical difficulty for someone who has never used a computer is the issue.

I suspect I will retain the copper though an expensive option for 2 or 3 faxes a month. 

0 Ratings