cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Slow connection speed

Hi,

I don't have broadband with BT but my parents do and I wondered if you could offer any help and advice with an issue.

They are on a basic 40/10 FTTC service with BT and they were previously getting sync speed of 40Mbps down and about 7 Mbps up.

I noticed recently that their sync speed was low and the SNR margin was high, so I thought that perhaps the DLM had altered the line profile, possibly it had been tricked if they had switched the router on/off too frequently.

I asked them to leave the router permanently on for a few days to see if the speed adjusted back up, but after about 4 days no changes had been made. I switched their router off for a bit (about 2 hours maybe) and back on to see if it connected back up at a better rate but no change. It has now been connected for more than 8 more consecutive days and still no change.

I wondered if staff could check the line profile and see what might be going on. I have put their phone number in the private notes section of my forum profile.

Here are the DSL stats from the router:

BTHub DSL Stats 060821.jpg

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Slow connection speed

If they have been constantly turning the hub off then that is why they've ended up on a banded profile due to DLM taking action.

4 days is no where near long enough for DLM to release banding. Look to 3 weeks or more. Your turning off the hub for a couple of hours won't have helped either. The main thing DLM will be looking for is a solid stable connection.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

From the stats I think your parents have been switching hub off/on to often in short period of time and DLM hassle this as a lone problemandthey connection is  in a banded profile  unlike adsl the DLM can take 4 weeks not just 8 days on vdsl before the speed it likely to recover  s just need to try and maintain stab,e connection  with no resets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@pippincpwrote:

The main thing DLM will be looking for is a solid stable connection.

I completely understand that. I just thought it would start to make adjustments after about 2 or 3 days. I never imagined it would be weeks.

Personally I have always switched my router off while I'm out at work and switching on/off each day has never had any negative effect, though I am of course well aware that switching on/off too frequently can trick the DLM into thinking the line is bad, and taking what it thinks is appropriate action.

I've always wondered why they can't design a better system which can detect the difference between a router power down and a connection dropping due to noise/errors on the line. It doesn't seem logical to me that people should need to keep a router constantly powered on 24/7.

0 Ratings