cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Small print size when printing emails

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to increase the printed font size of an email?

Ever since BT changed the format/layout of btinternet email accounts last year, a printed email almost needs a magnifying glass to read it... and I'm fed up with it. 

I've tried everything I can find but nothing makes any difference. 

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,

Dport

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Small print size when printing emails

I have presumed you are on BTMail and not BTYahoo and that you are not using an email client.

If that is correct, log onto your email account and click on the email that you want to print and then go to "More" > "Print Email".

This will open a new page showing a preview of your email and your print settings. Scroll down to "more settings" and click on it. Scroll down to "scale" and select "customised". 

In the box below that adjust the number upwards to the size that you want. Click print. The setting should now be saved and it will in future print to your chosen size.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Hi DistinguishedSage!

Many thanks for your response. I confess to not fully understanding what you meant, so please bear with me for a bit.

Yes, I'm on BTMail, not BTYahoo.

As to whether or not I'm using an email client.... do you mean 'am I using something like Microsoft Outlook?'

If that's what you meant, no I'm not  -  my BTMail account opens in my browser (MSExplorer).

This is precisely what happens when I print an email:

If I click on the email that I want to print I then see a preview of my email.  If I then go to "More" > "Print Email", up pops the 'normal' small print dialogue box, of the same form that I would see if I was trying to print from Word, or Excel, etc.

Does the above give you any clue as to what's going on and why I can't obtain a print that is anything other than microscopic?

My emails printed normally up until BT changed the style of the email account last year (without asking if I wanted things changed) to "make my email experience better".  It has in fact made my email experience worse, because I can't print emails such that they are easily readable.  Instead, they have to be read with a fair bit of squinting, in order to make out what the printed email is saying.

Is there anything else you can think of, please?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

@gg30340 wrote:

I have presumed you are on BTMail and not BTYahoo and that you are not using an email client.

This will open a new page showing a preview of your email and your print settings. Scroll down to "more settings" and click on it. Scroll down to "scale" and select "customised". 

Hmm, that only brings up the printer dialogue box for me, no print preview.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

I gave instructions when using the Chrome browser.

If you are using a different browser it may be slightly different but when the print box pops up if you need to look at the options that it offers. If it is not the same as the ones I have already outlined in my previous post, it will be something similar.

If it is the Microsoft Edge browser that you are using, when the print box pops up look for the "scale" box and change that to 150% or bigger if you want. This should then print at a bigger scale.

If you are not using the Edge or Chrome browser post back which browser you are using.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Exactly!!

I've responded to @gg30340 to let him know that all I get is the print dialogue box.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

@licquorice wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

Hmm, that only brings up the printer dialogue box for me, no print preview.

That's what happens when I use Firefox.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

The printer dialogue box will be specific for your printer but there should be a 'Preferences' box, click that and 'Page Setup' and then 'Scaled'  Try various percentages until you get the size you want.

scaled.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Hi @gg30340 and @licquorice 

Thank you both.  I've been wondering if it's an 'old browser' issue.....

I'm using MS Internet Explorer v11 and all I get is the normal print dialogue box.  There are no 'print size options available. (only paper-size)

Stumped!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

I manage to find a PC that still has IE11 on it and you are correct, it does not show the preview pane etc. You would need to do as licquorice has suggested, although I think that will mean everything will be printed at that setting because you are changing settings in the printer so you may need to change everytime you print.

Personally I would consider dumping IE11 and use either Chrome or Edge. Edge is about to be updated by Microsoft and it is going to be Chrome based. The reviews say that the update it substantially better than it is now.

0 Ratings