cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Smart hub 2

Go to solution

Hi, 

Bit of a cheeky question here, but figured it could be a good place to start.  Was a BT fibre BB customer but moved overseas. I still have my smart hub 2 as they didn't want it back. 

I'd like to use it here as the device supplied by my provider here isn't bad, but doesn't get full cover of the house, so i'd like to use it as an extender/mesh or by itself (as it did a great job when i was in the UK), but it appears to be locked as I can't get any access to update the infeed network settings.  Does anyone have any idea on how I can over come this "lockout"?

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Smart hub 2

Go to solution

Hubs are not locked, you can access the hub manager page at 192.168.1.254, the password will be on the back of the hub. They are only locked to BT DSL service, but if you only want to use it as an access point, you can just change the network settings to suit your network.

If the admin password doesn't work, factory reset the hub by pressing the recessed button with a pin for about 20 seconds until the lights flash.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Licorice, 

Thanks for your reply.  Thats good to hear. I guess I must have done something wrong? How do I connect it to my existing network? I ran a cable to its WAN port connected to the BT network but had no internet access. I can get into the hub manager, but did't see anywhere to confiure the incomming settings, only the outgoing. I've obviously missed some setting somewhere, sorry.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

If you want to use it as a wifi access point, just disable DHCP on the SH2, give it an IP address outside of the DHCP range of your broadband router and connect the 2 devices together LAN port to LAN port.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

HI Licorice, 

Ahh. Thank you for those instructions. I will give them a try tonight when I get home.

Many thanks.

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Licorice,

Got it working thank you. One final question, it sounds like there is a relay in there that is kicking in every few minutes, i presume to check the BB connection. Is there anyway to stop it?

Much appreciation

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Unfortunately not I'm afraid

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Licorice, 

One last question. Should i make the SSID on the smart hub 2 the same as my ISP SSID? Is there a way to echo my ISP SSID? or must i live with the BT one as well?

Many thanks for all your support. It is greatly appreciated.

Steve

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

You can, but I wouldn't recommend that you do. If you give them separate SSIDs, you will know which device you are connected to and can force a connection to either if needs be. Devices sometimes hang on to a weak signal rather than switch to a stronger one. Having the same SSID won't give you seamless handover like a true mesh system would.

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Ahh. Ok. Thank you again!

0 Ratings