cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gingerbenn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 88

Suspicious activity request to change email password becoming regular event!

OK I'm posting on behalf of my client, who ripping his hair out due BT asking him to resetting his password every few days.

The reset process works but lasts for only a few days, then another email is send out via BT saying his account has had

suspicious activity and request he reset his email password.

I've tweeted @BTcare on twitter and they seem to be clueless and so far have not replied with a suitable answer

as to why the BT email account in question keeps asking for the password to be reset.

I've checked for viruses on the computer used with the email account, it's a imac anyway so even less likely to have a virus.

I've also checked to see if any forwarding or pop boxes have been setup on the email account in question and everything is

fine settings wise.

I am just wondering if BTinternet have any clue why this password reset keeps happening, I am pretty sure happening to more then just a few BTinternet customers.

0 Ratings
87 REPLIES 87
OlgaC
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 88

Re: Suspicious activity request to change email password becoming regular event!

Hi gingerbenn,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I will look into this for me if you send me in your details. 

Click on my username and under the "about me" section you will the link to get in touch with us.  Whenever we receive your details we will go from there. 

Thanks,

Olga 

0 Ratings
cherkhan
Expert
Message 3 of 88

Re: Suspicious activity request to change email password becoming regular event!

Since the email upgrade/change by BT, I have found it consistantly does not like the android phone logging in along with my desktop.

The phone is rejected a number of times a day yet connects through wireless to my own router. Last password change was yesterday when it finally allowed me to do it. Previous to this I found that I was receiving exactly the same email notification but a check showed it not from BT, hence the original reset of my passwords as a precaution and not through that page. Kaspersky blocked it my on desktop but the phone having no security software was quite happy to connect to this rogue page.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 88

Have you checked that the emails are coming from BT. There are plenty of phishing emails doing the rounds and it could be that your client is handing the hackers his email password on a plate.

I could be wrong but the "unusual activity" message usually flashes up when you try to log on, not sent as an email. If BT see suspicious activity they lock the account so sending an email would not be of any use as a notification because the account is locked and could not be accessed by the account holder.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/~/bt-yahoo-mail%3A-compromised-accounts

0 Ratings
PeteMcV
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 88

This problem is starting to make BTinternet mail practically unusable for me! I am getting this in waves three or four times a week (i.e. for a day or so I will have to change password three or four times then it stays stable for a day or so). Being unable to access mail from a mobile device on the move and then having to change passwords across devices is becoming more than a nuisance, it is becoming a real inconvenience. My security is tight across all devices, I do not respond to phishing. I can't believe that it is co-incidental that this is coinciding with moves on the mail service. Surely (judging by the volumes of complaints on this) there is an issue with the algorithms or settings which are initiating these change-of-password demands? 

Also, I had mails telling me I had migrated from Yahoo Mail to BT mail but am still getting BT Yahoo screens and the 'tester' in the link above shows me as being on BTYahoo! Again, could this be part of the problem - double registrations across platforms or such like?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 88

There are phishing emails going around telling people that they have been migrated, are you sure the ones you have received are from BT?

0 Ratings
gingerbenn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 88

Nope its no a phishing email, the email client stops receiving emails coming.

I don't get any emails via bt till after I login to BT webmail saying I need to change the email password.

Once password has changed and email changed to new password it works for roughly 3 days, then the whole

process happens again eg email clients stops receiving emails and have to reset password once login to BT webmail.

So far BT are clueless and have't given me any valid reason for why this is happening.

0 Ratings
gingerbenn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 88

Hey BTinterest wake up sounds like this happening to alot of your customers, what you gonna do about it?

0 Ratings
Cappuccino24
Contributor
Message 9 of 88

I'm having the same problem and it is driving me mad. Also the fact that nobody at BT seems to understand what I am talking about despite the fact it now says on the login page that 'we have noticed unusual activity on some accounts'

I'm having to change my password up to 3 times a day, I spoke to someone at BT the other day who suggested it might be because of using multiple devices- I mean get real! This is 2014, is there no way I can verify different devices when i use them??

Also just spoke to someone at BT who seemed to think I was talking about phishing emails- NO! Either Outlook or Apple Mail comes up with an error message saying I should go to bt.com and when I try to log in I get a BT page saying 'We have noticed some unusual activity on your account'. Why is it that nobody at BT seems aware of this security system when you try to ask them about it??

The upshot of my last call was a suggestion that I shouldn't use Outlook any more as it is a 3rd party software, and that I should use webmail instead- ridiculous.

I have had this email address for 10 years but I am going to have to change it at great inconvenience as i can't keep changing my password on 3 or 4 devices this many times a week.

0 Ratings
Cappuccino24
Contributor
Message 10 of 88

Have now had a reply saying that BT can't help with 'the problem I am having with Outlook'

Can someone who actually understands the problem please help???

0 Ratings