cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Swap Smart Hub for Airport Extreme plus VDSL modem or Smart hub in Modem only?

Hello all,

For around six months I have not got around to sorting this out and my Airport Extreme has just sat there doing nothing! I understand Apple to not make/support them anymore, well they do support them as there as a recent firmware update for the Express for Airplay 2.

Anyhow,  I have my Airport Extreme and an old BT VDSL Modem that I bought a while ago for this very reason. Myself and my partner both have MacBook's (no ethernet) and we share a iMac but I dont fancy moving that all the way to the BR VDSL modem so I wanted to know (if I need to that is??) how do a change settings on the BT VDSL modem if the network looks like this:

BT phone line >>>BT VDSL Modem>>>Apple Airport Extreme>>>Ethernet Cabling>>>Airport Express's x 2.

I know I will only get 802.11ac Wifi from the Extreme as the Express uses 802.11n and only 100base this is going to be better than using old Powerline Apapters from the Smarthub. 

So yes, I just wanted to know how I would access the BT VDSL Modem settings (what ip address to type in) as the Extreme will be doing the DHCP stuff. Or is the Smart Hub (DHCP/Wifi off and just in modem mode) is better than a simple BT VDSL Modem (I was told and read that its better to use the BT VDSL Modem over the Smart Hub or or the Home Hub 5).

Cheers!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Swap Smart Hub for Airport Extreme plus VDSL modem or Smart hub in Modem only?

You can't use a BT hub as a modem, turning off wifi and DHCP doesn't turn a device into a modem, it will still be routing and natting.

The white Openreach modem is just plug and play, no settings to make.

Message 3 of 4

Re: Swap Smart Hub for Airport Extreme plus VDSL modem or Smart hub in Modem only?

Perfect, thanks for that.

If I did want to check to make sure its connecting as quick as the Smart Hub is there a way to do it via wifi through the Airport Extreme? Like to view the web portal?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Unless you have unlocked the modem, there is no access to it whatsoever to check any stats.

Unlocking an Huawei modem is trivial, an ECI is very difficult and requires soldering iron skills.

You can obviously check download speed with any speedtest site, but not connection speed.

0 Ratings