cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Switch Over to Fibre

Hi,

BT offered me a free switch over to fibre which took place last week.

Before the switchover i was getting between 9-11 Mbps download and 888kb upload.

Following the switch I'm now getting 6.2 Mbps download and 1.1 Mbps upload.

The communication from BT estimated between 10-18 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload (with a stay fast guarantee of 7 Mbps).

So whilst I wasn't expecting a huge increase in speed I didn't expect a slower connection.

Is it likely to improve after a training period?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Switch Over to Fibre

Can you post your hub stats

enter your phone number and post results.   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Apologies for the formatting.  Hope this is readable and what you need.

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean)

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

2012.21.20.88.8AvailableAvailable--
2011.31.20.66.4AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 7.5--6.5 to 8.5AvailableAvailableYes
Up to 7.5Up to 16.5 to 8.5AvailableAvailableYes
Up to 5.5--4.5 to 6.5AvailableAvailable--
2----AvailableAvailableYes
2----Available----
Observed Speeds ADSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2020-05-11
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
N
N
N
28-04-2020

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019

DSL uptime:0 days,00 Hours47 Mins12 Secs

Data rate:1.153 Mbps / 6.276 Mbps

Maximum data rate:1.153 Mbps / 7.011 Mbps

Noise margin:6.8 / 7.8

Line attenuation:15.7 / 29.8

Signal attenuation:15.7 / 33.1

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:8.4 MB Uploaded  / 42.4 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

From the stats you are just getting a connection speed above the handback speed

which exchange and cab are you on?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Hi,

Apologies for the delay.  The hub restarted overnight and now speedtest is showing  11.45 Mbps., which is more in line with what i was expecting.  Hopefully it will stay like this  or improve going forward.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

I was a little premature in thinking the issue had resolved itself...

The sync on the hub was actually 4.8 Mbps download and 1.1 Mbps upload.

At the same time the BT wholesale test was showing 9.72Mbps download and 0Mpbs upload which is what confused me and clearly could not be right.  It also wouldn't let me do an advanced test as there was 'an error retrieving additional service details.'.

I also did a quiet line test.

There was a faint hiss, but each time the Hub also disconnected.  Whilst still on the quiet test it reconnected and I could hear a noise in the background  (like when you ring a fax machine in error).  I changed the filter and tried again and the same thing happened with the same noise whilst the hub was reconnecting.  

I never got this disconnected when using the phone previously.  When they switched me to FTTC last week the line was down for an hour but I didn't have an engineer at the house so nothing has changed at this end.

Ironically after the 2 quiet line tests and disconnects the hub speed is the highest since the change to FTTC last week at 8Mbps (but still short of the old ADSL of 9-11 Mpbs).

Curiously the BT wholesale test just now is showing 26.4Mpbs download and 1Mbps upload whilst the hub stats show 8Mbps and 1.1Mbps.  

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

if the hub was disconnecting when you were trying quiet line test and changing filter did not help have you tried connecting to the test socket with a filter and try quiet line test again with hub connected

can you post current hub stats if you connect to test socket

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Thanks.

Unfortunately I dont have a test socket.  Just a standard faceplate sunk in the wall as the main socket.

I also didn't  get this before the free upgrade to fibre last week.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

it looks like a non-nte5 but in the wall.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Hi,

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

I'm pretty sure the internal wiring is ok since the speed reduction only started straight after the free upgrade to fibre.

Hub seems to restart each day in the night of the night.  Download is always around 1 Gbps, whereas upload varies between 4 and 7 Gbps.   (ADSL was great at 9-11 Gbps).

Bt sent me a new smart hub 2 at the same time.  Could this be faulty?

Hope you can help?

Thanks.

0 Ratings