cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Unable to order FTTC, 10 yards from BT exchange

Having some serious difficulty getting any information out of BT or OpenReach why my property is unable to get FTTC services but I can order ADSL2+.

The property is literally outside the BT Exchange, it couldn't be any closer if I tried.  My neighbours on the same road have FTTC, the engineers I have spoken to who park their vans outside my house confirmed there is capacity on the CAB but I cannot order it and would much like to get rid of VirginMedia as it is complete garbage.

Any of the mods on the forum able to assist me on this one?

The property had BT Highway ISDN installed around 10 years ago, previous owner has literally 'cut' the cables below the boxes and after contacting him after purchasing the property claimed he had '**bleep** bills and poor internet' from BT throughout the years of service.

Anyone able to help or point me in the right direction?

This is what comes out of the checker;

You can get speeds up to 19.5Mb with our Unlimited Broadband

Cab is active and has available capacity and my neighbours are active.  Can't live in a household with 20Mbit downstream, wouldn't cut it and I am not willing to go Dual-Wan like I have done in the past in previous properties as its simply just too expensive.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Unable to order FTTC, 10 yards from BT exchange

What cabinet number does it say you are connected to?

Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

If you are that close to the exchange, you may be on an EO (Exchange Only) line.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Unfortunately I am not able to check due to not currently having a BT line.  I can only use the postcode checker and go off the conversations I have had with the BT Openreach engineers that park outside my house daily.

It's pretty frustrating to say the least, OpenReach haven't been much help and haven't got back to me at all since before Xmas even though I have tried to get information at least 3 times.

I have even been looking at leased lines to get away from VirginMedia, thats how bad it is :X

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@FalconEvo wrote:

Unfortunately I am not able to check due to not currently having a BT line.  I can only use the postcode checker and go off the conversations I have had with the BT Openreach engineers that park outside my house daily.

It's pretty frustrating to say the least, OpenReach haven't been much help and haven't got back to me at all since before Xmas even though I have tried to get information at least 3 times.

I have even been looking at leased lines to get away from VirginMedia, thats how bad it is :X

Are you a business user?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

No, but I would happily pay for an FTTP or leased line installation to get away from unreliable latency prone internet.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@FalconEvo wrote:

No, but I would happily pay for an FTTP or leased line installation to get away from unreliable latency prone internet.

All I can suggest is that you order a phone line from BT Retail. I think you will find that the ADSL2+ service you will get, will be very good, if you are that close to the exchange.

In most cases, ADSL2+ can give better performance than FTTC, owing to its better connectivity into the core network.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Having worked for Pipex, Tiscali and Bulldog I know full well that ADSL2+ is not suitable for me.  The upstream is insufficient and would not be suitable for my use case or the usage in the property.  The latency would be ideal, specifically on fastpath but the bandwidth would not be suitable, nor is it worth 29.99 a month for upto 24Mbit downstream.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Then your only option would be BT Business.

https://business.bt.com/products/broadband/

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

If you are only 10 yards from the exchange then it is quite possible that your BT line would be fed directly from the exchange and not via a cabinet, (EO area I think it used to be called?). If that is the case then there would be no cabinet to "Fibre-to-the-Cabinet" from.

There was a plan some time ago to put a cabinet within the grounds of telephone exchanges to serve properties such as yours, but I don't know what happened about that.

Paul

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

That sounds plausable and I do recall hearing about these lines back when I worked for an ISP although they were pretty rare.

I'll try and get confirmation of this from the OpenReach guys who park outside my gaff.  Thanks for the info.

0 Ratings