cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Unlimiter fiber 1 (from 2014 sign up) upload speed is being limited to below minimum

Go to solution

I signed up for BT unlimited fiber 1 broadband in 2014 at which time my internet speed was quoted as:

"your download speed will be between 39Mb and 40Mb."
"your upload speed will be between 9.0Mb and 10.0Mb. "

I have never renewed on a new package so am still on this package, I would have expected in 7 years for the infrastructure/speeds to have actually improved but it seems instead of that, you (you being BT) are limiting my upload speed to 7.2Mbps, this is directly from my VDSL2 modem:

"Line rate (kbit/s) 42858 7200"

According to the line quality, there should be no reason that my upload speed is being limited to 7.2Mbps because the maximum rate with the line quality is over double that, again, directly from my VDSL2 modem:

"Attainable rate (kbit/s) 54856 17520"

So can you please un-limit my connection from the 7.2Mbps upload limit which is lower than the speed I was promised 7 years ago - this is a limit you are applying exchange side?

It would also be nice if you didn't email from non-existent domains when signing up for this service, I had to disable a mail server rule to receive your sign up email: "Message from IP address 34.246.32.154, sender <no-reply@community-mail.bt.com> rejected: sender domain does not exist"

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Unlimiter fiber 1 (from 2014 sign up) upload speed is being limited to below minimum

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

It is normal for speeds to decline especially over 7 years as more people are added to your cabinet and your line suffers from crosstalk.  I assume you have renewed your contract with BT in these 7 years otherwise you are probably paying standard terms instead on negotiating a discount for a fixed term contract

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Re: Unlimiter fiber 1 (from 2014 sign up) upload speed is being limited to below minimum

Go to solution

Hi imjolly,

I have not tried the phone line test, at present I am at another premesis so cannot perform that but there have been no issues with the phone line.

Result from the broadband check:

jsamuosu_0-1623578810375.png

Details from modem:

ModeVDSL2  
Traffic typePTM  
DSL synchronization statusUp  

DownstreamUpstream
Attainable rate (kbit/s)5508817499
SNR margin (dB)6.312.6
Line attenuation (dB)18.60
Output power (dBmV)6.66.6

Path 0
 DownstreamUpstream
Line rate (kbit/s)42858 7200 
CRC errors
FEC errors
HEC errors

(This is with 5 days uptime of the modem). Package has not been renewed in that time, I will probably be doing that in the near future however

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

when you say 5 days uptime of the modem is your internet connection time the same as it is possible for your internet connection to be dropping even though modem is connected?  

can you check for line noise   dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

from dslchecker results I would expect connection speed to be better

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

I turned modem off for a few minutes and back on 5 days ago to see if speed would improve, which it did not, from the modem logs service has dropped on the following:

2021-6-1 2:10:37
2021-5-18 1:27:24
2020-9-12 8:48:46 - this was for a few hours
2020-8-30 11:5:3 - this was for 30 minutes

So connection dropping does not seem to be a problem

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

can you try quiet line test when you can and post back

does your router/modem actually show internet connection time or just system uptime - many tplink only show system uptime which is not the same

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Out of interest, have you tried connecting a BT hub rather than your third party modem to see if that improves things.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

This is with the official BT huawei echolife HG612 gateway, I do not use wifi nor want tr069 running on my network and require stability for server (which the homehub abysmally fails at) so I would not use a BT homehub. There is nothing wrong with the modem

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

It shows both, currently:

System up time5 days 7 hours 14 minutes 29 seconds
ptm1.101Connected 458013 PTM 

458013 seconds, which is 5.3 days network connectivity time

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@jsamuosu wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the modem

Unless you substitute it, you do not know that.

Your choice, I'm not asking you to 'Use' the hub, just substitute it to verify the problem is not with the modem. Little point in asking for advice if you are not prepared to try suggestions.

0 Ratings