cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Using a 3rd party Router

Hi everyone, I'm looking into replacing BT's SmartHub for a Wi-Fi 6 (or 6E preferably) compatible one since most of my wireless devices uses the new Wi-Fi standard.

Can you guys please recommend what are our current options? I know BT requires a specific router with xDSL connection but finding quite difficult to google and finding options.

Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Using a 3rd party Router

BT doesn't require anything specific at all. You just need an appropriate device for the type of service you have. If you have FTTC, you just need a VDSL modem/ router.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Makes sense thank you. Going back to my question then, any options available currently with WiFi 6/6e? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Just try using Google search for modem/router and wfi6. Then up to you on sped and facilities you want

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 11

Please... do you really think I haven't tried that? Follow your own advice and let me know if you can find that information easily. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

If you Google WiFi 6 modem router combo you will find countless to choose from. We don't know what your requirements or budget are, only you can decide.

It's like going on a motoring forum and asking for a recommendation for a car.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Out of interest what speeds are you getting from your fibre connection?

I ask because there might not be much point of WiFi 6 unless your speeds are in excess of ,say, 250Mbps.

I will stress I've not looked at what advantage WiFi 6 will give other than speed.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

@raphavipe wrote:

Please... do you really think I haven't tried that? Follow your own advice and let me know if you can find that information easily. 

as already posted there are numerous to choose from just do the search work yourself then make choice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

People get good results with TP Link products. Maybe add one of their mesh systems too?
Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Have you considered turning off Wireless on your BT router and adding a better wireless system? I use a repurposed router as a wireless extender but prefer to let the smarthub do the routing and it also allows digital voice.

0 Ratings