cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

VPN access via SH2 - help

Hey folks...

This one seems to have frustrated a number of people but I'm still trying to find a definitve fix or work around.

In essence: Upgraded to a SH2 last year but subsequently couldn't access essential business systems that require VPN when working from home. No problem, I simply switched back my older Smart Hub which worked perfectly with our company VPN.

But now Digital Voice has began to roll out, I've now lost my landline as that only works with SH2.

Had a new SH2 sent out in the hope the router was the problem but alas no. Read various fixes such as turning Port Clamping ON and Smart Setup OFF within Smart Hub Manager but none work for me....aarrgghh!

Has anybody ever resolved this? Not sure whether setting up a Port Forwarding rule would help but I'm way out of my technical comfort zone with that.

It feels like the only option left is to leave BT . I'm a Fibre To Property customer so not even sure this problem would follow me around wherever I went .

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi...your my only hope!

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: VPN access via SH2 - help

I've been on the phone to BT support for two hours.

The poor techie has been told by her manager to tell me that BT does not support VPN connections

I'm waiting to speak to the manager now.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

The manager has confirmed that they do not support VPNs.
I'm staggered.
Apparently I have to speak to the IT teams of all of my clients to tell them that their VPNs are not set up correctly.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Thanks for the reply Martin....I feel your pain!

The annoying thing is, when you go into into Advance Settings/VPN in your Smart Hub manager, you see this proud statement!

Your BT Smart Hub has been designed to work with most virtual private network (VPN) software.
If you're having problems connecting, try turning port clamping on.
(This will set the internet key exchange to UDP port 500, rather than allowing a floating port - a setting which is sometimes required by older VPN clients.)

Au contraire

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

I think what you will find is that when the BT Manager said they do not support VPNs what it means is that they can not offer any help/assistance if your VPN does not work, not that a VPN will not work on their network.

There are very many different VPN programs and set ups that BT could not possibly train their staff regarding all of them so it is much easier not to support them.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Good point well made Distinguished Sage....it's just annoying that the original BT Smart Hub continues to work absolutely fine when using our company VPN so guessing there's a tweak in the SH2 firmware that just won't let you in.

Thanks for posting the link...will work me way through suggestions and report back!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

I appreciate that support staff can't be trained in supporting VPNs.
I don't need that, the VPNs are fine, I can connect to them using my TP-Link router and using my old Plusnet router (essentially and old BT Home hub).
The only thing that doesn't work is the SH2, my colleagues can connect to the exact same VPNs (some PPTP, some L2TP) using a variety of hubs, none of them SH2s.

I've just put the SH2 back in its box, plugged the TP-Link in and everything's fine.

I couldn't help but laugh when she said that I was the first person to report this issue.

Message 9 of 17

@Martin1050 

Can yo confirm that you are using a direct Ethernet connection between the home hub and your computer?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Yes, before phoning support this morning I disconnected and powered off every pc, server, hub, access point etc.
Factory reset the hub.
Connected a PC to the hub to the internet.
Tested VPNs, all failed.
Made the recommended changes to Smart Setup and port clamping.
Tested VPNs, all failed.
0 Ratings