cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Whole Home WiFi waste of time??? Very frustrating purchase so far....

I use Virgin Media for my wifi but wanted something to boost the signal in my new garage conversion. The garage is a seperate building but only 10 meters or so from the Virgin Hub 3 router. I looked into a mesh system and thought this Whole Home was a good option. I bought thw three disc set, thinking I could also boost the wifi signal upstairs. Set up the first disc, then tried to set the second up in the garage. Prior to that, I used the BT app to do a location test but even when in the same room as the Hub, it advised I was in a poor location!!!The direct line of sight from router to proposed disc location is through two glass doors and a single brick wall, so it isn't as though we're trying to get into a bank vault. 

So, I plugged the disc in the garage anyway and waited for the lights to come on. Blue light! Yes! But, this was swiftly followed by an orange light which tells me the disc is in a poor location and I should consider moving it. That is no use whatsoever.

I thought the whole point of these things was to spread the wifi signal so as to improve it in patchy locations.

Wondered if someone might advise me before I send the whole lot back to Amazon.?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Whole Home WiFi waste of time??? Very frustrating purchase so far....

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Keith, I can't see any specific reference to this issue in the link you kindly shared. Thing is, I thought the whole point of these discs was to spread a strong wifi into areas where the signal is low. If the app tells me the location I want to put them is no good - and that message includes a test within 2 metres of the Hub 3 - it doesn't bode very well! Also, the app doesn't let me continue with set up process for extra discs even if it states the location is poor, (ie I don't have any option to continue installation) so the whole thing just comes to a standstill.

If anyone can help, then great, and please do let me know if I'm doing something wrong! Otherwise, they're all going back to Amazon and I'll get my £160 back. 

I've tried phoning BT support, but lost the will to live whilst waiting.

Thanks, y'all.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@VIctorthesecond 

You have to bear in mind that this is a BT Broadband customer forum, so most of the people here are going to be using a BT Home hub.

There have been a few posts from VM customers and some from one of the BT device experts like this one https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/BT-Whole-Home-Set-up-Failure/m-p/1888983#M6301

I assume its the product support people you have been calling?

Post on this forum seem to indicate variable results, so I did not bother, and opted for a cheaper three disc mesh system (£66), which works just fine. I have BT Broadband ADSL (10Mb).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe 

The forum is not just for BT Broadband, as has been posted before by the mods if a device has a BT logo then regardless of anything else this is the place to post about it.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@intoxicating 

The recommendation is to ring or email the helpdesk, as replies here are going to be somewhat limited to suggestions by the BT Device experts, or the moderators.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@VIctorthesecond 

I assume you have turned off the wireless on your Virgin router, as that will interfere with the operation of the Whole Home Wifi?

The system is intended to work stand alone, where one disk acts as the master (gateway) node which is connected to an Ethernet port on your router.

The other discs communicate with this master node, and establish links back to the master node, and also between the discs themselves.

If you imagine it forming a triangle, you will see what I mean.

If you have a long house, then you may need to configure them as daisy chained, to enable them to "see" each other. This will result in a reduction in speed.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi Keith, thanks for all your replies. Just a quick update. I now have all three discs working! I chose to basically ignore the BT app which was very frustrating as, once I got to the "location test" phase (ue after first disc installtion), it wouldn't let me do anything else beyond trying again....and again....again. That included a location test within a few feet from the first disc connected to the router and still, according to the app, a poor location!

Anyway, after a quick hunt round You Tube, I simply did a factory reset on all three discs, connected the first disc, got that up and running on the new BT wifi, and then connected the second disc with ethernet cable to the router, got the blue light, disconnected it and stuck it in the room I wanted to - and lo, the light was blue! The same with the third disc which is in the garage conversion. For that disc, I can only get an orange light but the wifi is undoubtedly better than it was before. We're not "game players" and do little streaming, but I've tried watching You Tube videos in the garage and they seem fine. My Google Home also works there so I can at least listen to the radio in our new "garden space". Hopefully, it will also allow a smart TV to connect - would that be best if connected to the disc with an ethernet cable??  All it now needs is summer....

If you have any tips on how I might make that orange light go blue, they'd be appreciated! It's vaguely annoying as there is "only" an internal (glass) door, a conservatory window and the garage wall between disc 1 and disc 3, so it isan't as though we live in a castle with stone walls as thick as Owen Farrell's thighs. But, overall it seems to be doing what it says on the tin....

I've seen comments that suggest I might put the Virgin Hub 3 in modem mode but I'm not entirely sure what that means, what benefit we'd get, or how to do it. I'm a little scared of mucking up the wifi completely - like most of us, I have little technical ability or understanding and just want things to work!

0 Ratings