Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rick1948
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

YouView remote control works very intermittently

Go to solution

My old YouView box stopped working recently and I was sent a replacement. Commands from the remote work about 20% of the time on the new one. I have been through BT's recommendations regarding flat screen TV energy saving settings and low energy light bulbs but it makes no difference (and the old YouView box worked fine). Is this typical of the new product of do I have a faulty one?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Martin--W
Retired BT Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: YouView remote control works very intermittently

Go to solution

Hello @Rick1948

Would love to see if I can help. If you Private Message me your phone number or account number, i'll be in touch.

Kind regards,

Martin.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

This is a known but rarely acknowledged fault. First off, don't mess with your tv picture settings to make this work, could never understand why BT would advise people to degrade their picture settings just to get their remote to work. Surely everyone wants optimal picture settings on their tv, not a degraded setup which would be a backwards step.

I had a plasma tv which possibly could've been the cause of the remote not working correctly as since upgrading my telly to a new Panasonic LED I've had zero issues.

One solution (albeit a tad messy) which worked for me while I had the plasma was to tape a small piece of white card in front of the BT box IR sensor (I kid you not). 

The IR sensor is on the right side of the box as you look at it and is about an inch or so in from the edge of the box fairly close to the blue internet light. I was advised to shine a torch through the front display to locate the exact position of the sensor. An archaic solution but it did work for me at the time I needed it.

speedtrip
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Yes, that is indeed a good soltion - use black Garden mesh wotsit if you dont want it to stand out ...
0 Ratings
Rick1948
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks, your suggestion has worked brilliantly, it was driving me mad before. I found that the back page of a theatre programme (thin black card) worked perfectly. I'd love to know how you discovered this trick.

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Fairly sure I picked up the fix while browsing here quite a while ago now. It worked for me while I had my plasma tv but since upgrading to an LED tv I haven't needed to use it. Glad it has worked out for you.

0 Ratings
hitxhy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I cannot believe this works...but it does perfectly...why don't BT mention this in their troubleshooting guide ?

0 Ratings