cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Youview Losing Internet/Buffering

I am using Youview on a Humax DTR-T2100.

It has been running fine for years.

Now it is repeatedly losing its connection to the internet and also constant buffering makes it impossible to watch anything on the various Players or On Demand. Works fine for live TV and playback of recordings.

Have tried the obvious things, software all up to date, video speed set to standard, reset everything, powered off everything , hard resets of all equipment. The only reset I haven't done is a Factory reset on the Humax  as I have lots of recordings I don't want to lose.

What to try next?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 15

Re: Youview Losing Internet/Buffering

Hello @pamelap,

Here to help you 🤗. It's a nightmare when constant buffering all the time or even in a busy household, what ISP (Internet Service Provider) are you with & what's the YouView box connected via WiFi or a Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

@pamelap 

Is the box hardwired via ethernet cable to the router or are you using powerline adapters (mini connectors)?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

@TimCurtis @Anonymous 

I'm with BT,  everything is BT, + the Humax box, using BT powerline adapters to the router which is a BT Hub 4.

I can't figure out why it would work fine for years and then start with these problems when I have changed nothing and reset everything.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 15

Hello again @pamelap,

I remember having that router year (s) ago now have the BT SmartHub 2 with the highest Fibre that my local cabinet support's which is Fibre 2, anyway is the YouView box plugged with an Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

@Anonymous 

Router -> Ethernet cable to BT power plug adaptor -> BT power plug adaptor in differet room. Never had any trouble with it.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 15

Hi @pamelap,

OK, What cable is in the back of the YouView box or is the box just running of WiFi?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

@pamelap 

Highly likely it's the powerline adapters.

Is it possible to connect the box directly to the hub , maybe with the 10m cable that came with the box or move things around a bit so as to be able to connect it directly?

You could also try a reset of the adapters but that's unlikely to change anything I think.

Has anything changed with the mains wiring recently or new appliances plugged into that same ring?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

@TimCurtis 

Unfortunately the TV is fixed to the wall in a different room to the router and I can't move the TV myself and am in self-isolation at present.

I do think you are probably right and it is the powerline adaptors. I have unplugged them in both rooms, left a while, then re-connected. It seems to have partly resolved the problem, but not completely.

There has been no changes to my set up at all. Nothing new on the circuit. The only thing I can think of is that some Sky engineers put fibre broadband into the building (but not my flat) for Virgin Media (BT don't do fibre broadband here and seem to have no plans to do so which is annoying). I suppose it is possible they affected the BT wiring in the building in some way. If that is the problem I doubt I'll get it resolved between BT, Sky and Virgin as they will each blame each other!

I found a helpful article at https://support.youview.com/youview-box/set-up/using-powerline-adapters/ which has a section on troubleshooting adapters. One of my pair is plugged into an extension cable so that is something I can try changing. Also it says the three lights should be the same, but mine never have been, I always havee one red, and two green, so that is a bit odd although I don't know how they've been working all this time until now if that is the problem.

Thanks for the advice. I may look into getting some new power adaptors from BT.

@Anonymous  Ethernet cable from power adaptor to Youview box.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 15

Hello @pamelap,

Sorry for the late reply, I been busy like @TimCurtis said it could be the Powerline adaptor that's why I never used to like doing it because I had the same problem. Also like what @TimCurtis said run a 10m or whatever size Ethernet cable make sure it's either a CAT6 or CAT7 cable from your BT router straight to you YouView box.

All the best 😄!

0 Ratings