cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

fttp installation preparation?

Hi,

I'm hoping for some advice.

Fttp is booked for installation at my home in 10 days time and I would like everything to go in the under stairs cupboard where my current phone line enters and home hub lives.

Unfortunately the phone line is buried and enters this cupboard from under the suspended timber floor.

I'm happy enough running the cable for the engineers in advance as they're obviously not going to start lifting floorboards when they arrive. 

Would anyone know exactly what cable they'll be using so I can be sure to buy and run the right thing for them? I've seen 30m EZ bend mentioned around, is that correct? Is there any issue with this idea I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: fttp installation preparation?

It depends on whether the Installation Engineer is,

Inside/Out Trained, as in installs an EZ Bend and splices it on the outside wall at a CSP.

or if the Engineer is;

FFC, Field Fit Connector trained and brings the OH or UG Fibre cable on a continuous length in from the outside and fits the Connector at the end.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

So leaving conduit in place with a way to pull the cable through is a better idea?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Again depends on the Engineer and what sort of mood he’s in.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Are you telling me I could go to the effort of lifting floorboards and placing conduit and he might argue about using it?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Yes, he may want to do it to the quality standard. 

Openreach Engineers aren’t supposed to run cable under floorboards or carpets.

All depends on what makes his life easier though I suppose.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

he can move on to his next job if that's the case

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I wouldn’t worry to much, there’s very few Openreach Engineers left who actually care about doing a quality job.

Most are now a bunch of Billy Bodging Prod Chasers who are more overly keen to make a name for themselves in front of the Senior Management than actually do a Professional job.

Where about do you live out of interest?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

North Belfast

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Should’ve said at the beginning. You’ll be fine then, things work differently in Northern Ireland.

0 Ratings