cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Homespot slow data

Go to solution

Router gives 50+mps, but inside homespots only around 5 - 8mps, though one in the garage gives 50+ too.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Homespot slow data

Go to solution

Would recommend checking positioning - start with line of sight if possible and double check for what materials Wi-Fi is passing through - wood bad, plaster OK, aluminium framing very bad.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Tried the homespot in the socket next to the one the extender uses.  Shows 6mps download and 12mps upload.  The 12mps upload is what I normally get from the router, which gives 50+ download.

Also now tried a different homespot, still in the adjacent socket.  8 download, 12 upload.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

The chances are that you resolved the problem just by interrupting the power when you moved the hotspot from one socket to another, I regularly power cycle mine for that very reason 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Not resolved - download @ 6 or 8mps vs 50+mps at the router, whereas upload is the expected 12mps for both homespots and the router. Why the loss a download data speed at the homespots? And the homespots are even slower where I actually need them in the rest of the house. Is there loss of speed through the electricity circuits? Surely not as much as this?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@mikewestmorland wrote:
 Is there loss of speed through the electricity circuits? Surely not as much as this?

Absolutely there is, powerline adapters are only as good as your electrical wiring. Your wiring could be extremely noisy which will interfere with the signal.

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

On top of that advised by @licquorice powerline adapters should used between sockets on the same ring main, spurs and even extension leads can have an adverse effect

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Ok thanks. I think I get a better download speed from the router throughout the house than the via the homespots. Just hadn’t checked it before.
0 Ratings