cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Can i use my own NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wifi Router (R7000) instead of the BT router on Halo 1

Hello

Can i swap out my BT router for my own one NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wifi Router (R7000) ? I'm having issues with Port forwarding so thought using my own router would be best.

Also if it is possible how do I do it?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can i use my own NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wifi Router (R7000) instead of the BT router on Halo 1

Yes, but you won't be able to use Digital Voice.

The details have been posted on the forum countless times.

PPPoE credentials are username bthomehub@btbroadband.com password can be anything

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: Can i use my own NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wifi Router (R7000) instead of the BT router on Halo 1

Just looked at the spec. Unless you have full fibre you will need a separate modem to use the Netgear, it is just a router, not a modem/ router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@licquoricewrote:

Just looked at the spec. Unless you have full fibre you will need a separate modem to use the Netgear, it is just a router, not a modem/ router.

Yes. The R7000 was Netgear's mid-range workhorse device for some time. It still gets the occasional firmware update but it dates back to 2014, with wifi technology from that era. Even BT's nasty Smarthub is probably better than that.

The R7000 can happily ride behind the Smarthub as an access point.

But that won't get anywhere with port forwarding

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I use a Netgear R700 on BT FTTP 

and it works perfectly.

However as advised Digital Voice needs the Smart Hub. I'm  hopeing that BT will update DV to be able to use on your own router.

I have not seen a satisfactory set up for using Netgear with Smarthub , without possible issues i.e Double NAT and slowdowns etc.

Anyone have a better solution?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@orientboy2000wrote:

I have not seen a satisfactory set up for using Netgear with Smarthub , without possible issues i.e Double NAT and slowdowns etc.

Anyone have a better solution?

Use the R7000 as a router and put its IP address in the DMZ for the BT Hub.

Hub Manager > Home > Advanced settings > Firewall

michaelkenward_0-1708511118655.png

I plan to play with that and my Netgear MR90.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@michaelkenwardwrote:

Use the R7000 as a router and put its IP address in the DMZ for the BT Hub.

Hub Manager > Home > Advanced settings > Firewall

I plan to play with that and my Netgear MR90.

Based on previous messages in this place, here is what worked for me on a Netgear MK93 system:

• Connect to the GUI in the Homehub
  • Backup your settings
    • Advanced settings
    • Backup / Restore
  • Advanced settings
    • My Networks
    • IPv4 configuration
  • Assign the Homehub an IP address (I used 192.168.2.1) that does not clash with my Netgear router's default (192.168.1.1) with all of its reserved IP addresses
  • Reboot Homehub
  • Set Netgear in router mode with IP address 192.168.1.1. (That is the default.)
  • Connect Netgear router WAN port to LAN port on Homehub
  • Reboot whole network
  • Get into GUI for Homehub with GUI and 192.168.2.1
  • Look for DMZ setting
    • Advanced settings
    • Firewall
    • Configuration
    • Show device
    • Enter IP address that Homehub has allocated to Netgear router
  • Reboot again if necessary (it wasn't here)
  • Backup your settings
    • Advanced settings
    • Backup / Restore

There may be other ways of getting to the same destination, and all the reboots maybe overkill.

The end result is a Homehub that passes traffic on to the Netgear router. Everything is plugged into the Netgear or into a switch connected to the Netgear.

I can still access the Homehub at 192.168.2.1 and the Netgear router at 192.168.1.1.

Now when BTEE forces Digital Voice on us I should still have a phone connection.