cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

WholeHome Premium & Starlink

I've got 2 internet connections - BT copper (3mbps, via Netgear router used for backup only) and Starlink (primary, via Starlink router).

I've had an old WholeHome mesh system working fine, firstly on the old copper and latterly on the Starlink system.  No real issues with that but decided to update to the latest WholeHome Premium system thinking that perhaps I'd getting better reliability / speed.

But I can NOT get the Premium mesh working on the Starlink connection.  It works fine on the old copper connection, so I'm thinking that the issue is between the Premium mesh and the Starlink router, although there are no issues between the older generation WholeHome and that router.

I connect the base unit to the Starlink router, it shows blue, I can add other discs, I can connect to the new wifi, but it gives no internet connection.  Moving the Premium mesh system across to the old copper / Netgear system, and it works fine (well, as well as it can at 3mbps!).

I've tried re-starts and re-sets of the various components, but without success.  I've tried via the app (which isn't great) and connecting via btwhole.home but can't see anything that I obviously need to change to get the Premium mesh working with Starlink. 

Any suggestions before I return the new system?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: WholeHome Premium & Starlink

@TonyBeeTee We are having exactly the same issue!

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

@Lauren2 

I also logged the issue with BT support directly.  It was escalated to their Level2 support yesterday.  If they resolve it, I'll post here.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Hi @TonyBeeTee and @Lauren2,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. We have investigated the issue you reported and there have been no new updates for the BT Whole Home discs that would cause the compatibility issue with the Starlink router. The discs are working as expected and within their designed parameters.  

The discs are compatible with all UK service providers, but you may need to contact Starlink customer service to ask what, if any, setting changes are needed to their router to enable you to use your BT Whole Home discs with their equipment. 

Starlink may also be able to advise of any restrictions on their equipment preventing you from using your BT Whole Home discs. 

We have seen feedback from customers that they have resolved this issue by using a different model of router with Starlink provider, but we would advise to contact Starlink first. 

I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

@PaddyB - Thanks for your reply. I have already contacted Starlink who recommended putting the router in Bypass Mode which has been done. The BT Whole Home Original works fine, the issue is the Premium discs which are not allowing the connection though. Are there any settings that need to be changed on the Premium discs (to replicate the Original discs) to allow this connection? 

@TonyBeeTee  - Sorry to jump in on this but I'm sure you've done the same too. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Hi @PaddyB 

Thanks for the reply.

Just a point of clarification though;

The (old) BT WholeHome discs are working fine with the Starlink router.  I presume this is the AC2600 generation.   (If I could have bought an add-on disc, I would have done, but appears that those are no longer available, hence I bought a full replacement system instead). 

The issue is with the (new) BT WholeHome Premium discs, which are not working with Starlink, issue as described above. 

If I swap back to the old discs, no problems.  Nothing has changed with Starlink.  That led me to the conclusion that the issue arises because of some change to the functionality/firmware between the old discs and the Premium discs.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

@Lauren2 - you're very welcome to jump in too - I'm relieved that it's not just me with this issue. 

I've spent frustrating hours rebooting, factory re-setting, swapping out different components, updating apps, trying both iOS/Android app versions, using different browsers for the btwhole.home link, any and every variable I could think of, trying to find root cause.

Conclusion is that it's a change between the previous & Premium versions of the WholeHome system.

I guess there aren't many of us using this combination of Premium & Starlink yet, but I guess it'll become more commonplace as Starlink rescues more of us from abysmal broadband connectivity!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

@PaddyB 

Are there any suggestions from BT Tech as to how to resolve this problem?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

@TonyBeeTee - If all else fails, it looks like you can still get the original BT Whole Home discs from B&Q. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Hi, @TonyBeeTee and @Lauren2  We've chased this with the whole home product team and there are no settings you can adjust on the discs that we can suggest. 

The premium product works with all other manufacturer's routers so we can only ask that you speak with Starlink to find out how their router is configured differently and if that can be changed in the Starlink router settings.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings