cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

5c master socket problem?

Go to solution

Nearly a month ago the SH2 was  resyncing 3 or 4 times a day, message in the event log each time was no carrier. I thought I had fixed it by unclipping the master socket faceplate, making sure it was dry and clean, and refitting it.

This morning, after 27 days uptime,  it did the same thing 3 times within in a few minutes. I’ve repeated the master socket trick and, fingers crossed, it seems fine at the moment.

Am I on the right lines thinking this is a master socket face plate issue and are there any suggestions that might stop it happening again?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: 5c master socket problem?

Go to solution

Seems to be a common problem. Some advice on this thread: Solved: BT Master socket - BT Community

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

the problem often with this type of master is as faceplate only clips on it can come unseated slightly and enough to cause connection problems especially if likely to be knocked.

you can put bit tape to help secure faceplate or you could just use the test socket which is behind faceplate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks both.

I think being slightly unseated is exactly what’s happening, and could easily be interpreted as line instability by the user and eventually dlm. It’s been fine since I refitted it. Only 3 hours so far, but it’s promising.

I can’t easily use the test socket as we still have a copper landline wired in to the back of the faceplate, but will give that some thought.

Trouble is I’m scared to touch it to put tape on it. The slightest touch is likely to cause a disconnection. I think I’ll plan a time to shut down the hub, and do it then.

Its a convenient, but nasty, design imho.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@Andrew600wrote:

Thanks both.

I think being slightly unseated is exactly what’s happening, and could easily be interpreted as line instability by the user and eventually dlm. It’s been fine since I refitted it. Only 3 hours so far, but it’s promising.

I can’t easily use the test socket as we still have a copper landline wired in to the back of the faceplate, but will give that some thought.

Trouble is I’m scared to touch it to put tape on it. The slightest touch is likely to cause a disconnection. I think I’ll plan a time to shut down the hub, and do it then.

All becaause some costomers complained about having to use a screwdriver to remove the faceplate. You can get a replacement thet screws on from Ebay or Amazon.

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@pippincpwrote:

@Andrew600wrote:

Thanks both.

All becaause some costomers complained about having to use a screwdriver to remove the faceplate. You can get a replacement thet screws on from Ebay or Amazon.

I was looking at that when you posted funnily enough.

Screw fitted ones are rare these days it seems. I found one seller on eBay , nothing else at all.

Switching to Digital Voice would actually be helpful at this point. It opens up the test socket route. I’ve not heard a word about that yet though.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I shut the hub down for a few minutes and firmly taped the faceplate to the backing boxes.

It certainly seems more secure. There no movement of the faceplate at all now. Time will tell. 
Hopefully I won’t need to update the thread.

Thanks for the idea.

0 Ratings