Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kimdrdolittle
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Am I allowed to install my own line?

Hi there.

I'm sick of constantly waiting for OpenReach engineers (whom are useless) to give me irrelevant and false information about my broadband problems - since 2016 we have had intermittent broadband, starting fast then slowly dropping down to speeds of 2mbps or less. I've lost count of the amount of engineers that have come (I mean, I've had my master socket reinstalled 4 times in the span of 6 months). As of last year, we had figured the issue out on our own which turned out to be the fact that there had been trees growing above the line on the left and right side of our house, as well as the fact one of the poles that the line is connected to is very loose and old; meaning if you were to push it with a little force, it would move. In the end, I opted to clamp the line down using thick cabling that's pulling the line tightly so it wouldn't move much further, and our speed stayed at a steady 55mbps download and 10mbps upload with little to no disconnects, however a year or so later it's now worse, with a line attenuation of 72db going upwards of 80! If I were to install my own line, it would be a direct link to the original line as our exchange box is extremely close to the house itself, it would also bypass the fact that the line comes in from the left side of our house, goes right over the front of our house to the pole that's extremely unsafe, then routes back to the right side of our house, when the master socket is on the left side of our house? It makes no sense why they installed a secondary line to redirect it... blah, Openreach, am I right?  So back to my original question; am I allowed to install my own line, and if not, would I be charged with anything if I installed my own line anyways? sure beats the awful service Openreach provides lol.

H.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Am I allowed to install my own line?

No you can not install your own line. The infrastructure prior to the master socket is the property of Openreach.

If you tamper with it or cause any damage you would be responsible for the restoration costs for Openreach to reinstate it with their lines and connectors etc.

You would also be responsible for any damage away from your property such as at the exchange that may have been caused by your tampering.

iniltous
Guru
Message 3 of 5

Although it’s not particularly clear , is it the case that your trees are damaging the overhead cable ( and arguably your your responsibility to keep them from doing this ) and that your own ‘fix’ of clamping down the OR cable with your own thick cabling has ( over a year ) damaged the OR cable to such an extent that it is now causing connection problems.
Obviously I don’t know your exact circumstances, but there is a paid for ‘product’ that requests a change from overhead to underground service , the more work done on the customers own ‘land’ by themselves can significantly reduce the costs …so ( for arguments sake ) if someone had a OR pole just outside their curtilage, and they ran a roped duct from this point to their house wall, OR could link up that duct to the pole and run an underground cable to the house  , obviously they could ask for all the work to be done by OR but then all the costs are born by the user.

0 Ratings
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

I wouldn't have thought that such action would be well tolerated by OR but why don't try it and see. Please report back to let us know how you do in court

If the Smart Hub 2 is BT's best hub yet then what does that say about its predecessors ?
0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

What do you mean by Exchange Box?

0 Ratings