cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Am I another Banded profile victim? (Artificially low speed profile)

Go to solution

I'm paying for Fibre 2 and used to get 36/16kbps when I was with Vodafone on this line so I know it can go higher than it currently does.

For the last couple of months I was checking it was regularly clocked around 39.075/9.997Mbps and I've just done another check now (with 10+ days reported uptime) and have these statistics.

Connection Speed36457 kbps9997 kbps
Line AttenuationD0( 14.9) D1( 24.1) D2( 31.6) dBU0( 20.8) U1( 19.1) U2( 26.5) U3(N/A) U4(N/A) dB
Noise MarginD0( 7.3) D1( 7.4) D2( 7.4) dBU0( 9.6) U1( 9.5) U2( 9.5) U3(N/A) U4(N/A) dB

The broadband availability checker for my address claims it should be able to deliver between 67-80/19-20

Fibre 2 claims averages of 67/19  as well, and I can only assume that for ease of switch-over, someone decided to keep the settings from the previous provider instead of running a new test and in fact shaved some upload speed off for good measure.

Fair play to the algorithm in control of the operational side of the business that decided to give me an average speed estimate of 31-34Mbps/8-9Mbps and a guaranteed minumum download speed of 28Mbps, which you have at least succeeded in delivering.

It's just a shame that as it presumably couldn't be bothered to see if it could actually deliver the maximum Fibre 2 speeds (and has indeed not succeeding in doing so), it also couldn't be bothered to instead offer me the BT Fibre Essential package which matches the speeds I'm currently receiving and wouldn't be mistaken by an overly officious ombudsman as some sort of attempt to get around the legislation by charging customers more for packages it knows it cannot (or won't bother to) deliver on the grounds that when the final quote and guarantee of lesser speed was issued, the customer was foolish enough to not actually start complaining immediately (before the contract back-out time expired) - hey, not everone has perfect mental health and a full team of legal advisors on standby for every eventuality.

Long story short, is my line being falsely banded into a lower profile and can you fix it?

The email address I used for this is the same as the one I registered the broadband on if that helps speed your investigation.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Am I another Banded profile victim? (Artificially low speed profile)

Go to solution

Can you confirm what speed you used to get with Vodafone please?

Either you have mistyped or something else is awry. 

I suspect you are on a 40/10 profile (or Fibre 1), but that is aligned with the predicted speeds you also posted.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution
My previous speed would have been at least 32/16 but even so my BT account is meant to be Fibre 2 and that's what I'm being charged for.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

Is there anywhere in the xDSL reports on the router that shows the VDSL2 profile that's in use?  I believe Openreach use profile 17a for 80/20 and 8a for 40/10.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

can you post your hub stats advanced settings then technical log information

can you also post results from https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

if you have no phone number or digital voice then use your address

you are not in a banded profile but maybe the wrong profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

You seem to misunderstand how DSL works. If your line length is only capable of 36M it makes no difference if you are on Fibre Essentials, Fibre1 or Fibre2.

If your car is only capable of 50mph, a speed limit of 70mph won't make it go any faster than a speed limit of 60mph.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Here's the address-based speed thing bt broadband speed.jpgI've just found the debug page of the Netgear D6400. I won't pretend to understand it all and there is more but hopefully this contains the pertinent information. I'm loathe to replug the smarthub in case something at the other end decides to consider it a dodgy line and downgrade me to ISDN or something 😄

adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    1
Last initialization procedure status:    0
Max:    Upstream rate = 16340 Kbps, Downstream rate = 51121 Kbps
Bearer:    0, Upstream rate = 9997 Kbps, Downstream rate = 36457 Kbps
Bearer:    1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State:    L0
Mode:            VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:        Profile 17a
TPS-TC:            PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:        U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:        No Defect
Training Status:    Showtime
        Down        Up
SNR (dB):     7.4         10.0
Attn(dB):     19.7         0.0
Pwr(dBm):     12.9         5.4

VDSL2 framing
            Bearer 0
MSGc:        -6        43
B:        227        31
M:        1        1
T:        0        64
R:        14        2
S:        0.0000        0.1017
L:        9733        2675
D :        4        1
I:        242        34
N:        242        34
Q:        4        0
V:        0        0
RxQueue:        85        0
TxQueue:        17        0
G.INP Framing:        18        0
G.INP lookback:        17        0
RRC bits:        0        24

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @BeckiJane

Welcome to the BT Community and thank you for your post!

I am sorry for the problems with your broadband speed.  Can you post your Hub stats and a screenshot of the results from the >> BT Broadband availability checker << please?  Ultimately, you should have been put on a package to reflect the broadband speed available at your address.

**Edit** Our posts crossed.  Thanks for providing the info.  It's a profile mismatch.  You should be on a 80/20 profile on Fibre 2 but it looks like you're currently on a 40/10 profile.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

@RobbieMac 

looks like set on fibre 1 profile and should be fibre 2

@BeckiJane 

can you check MYBT and make sure it shows fibre 2 not 1 in package

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

@RobbieMac 

looks like set on fibre 1 profile and should be fibre 2

Thanks @imjolly Our posts crossed so I edited mine 😀

0 Ratings