cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 38

BT Access Point Help

Hello,

I've got BT landline & broadband package into a recent build property.  I'm not sure what cabling was used, but I think it should be compliant for the fibre roll out in our area - whenever that comes.

Is there anything in the contract that stipulates that Openreach should have access to the cable at the point where it enters the property?

The reason I ask is because the below photo shows the cable entry into the property.  It's not totally tidy, but what is problematic for me is that it is at the location where the front door steps are to be installed.

I've been told that it should be possible to joint the gray pipe and the conduit and just cover it with the steps (permanent).  I was leaning towards installing a recessed manhole cover into the step to provide access.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Cable_Access_1-min[1].jpgCable_Access_2-min[1].jpg

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38

Re: BT Access Point Help

Not sure if this is correct forum, so a mod can move to correct one if necessary.
Thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 38

It is not the same cable, FTTP is delivered via fibre optic cable. The fibre optic will be pulled through the duct the up to a CSP mounted to the outside wall. The internal cable will come from the inside out and up to the CSP where the two will be spliced together.

Message 4 of 38

What size roughly is the CSP?

So really, I do need to provide access for the Openreach engineers at this location - and so a manhole cover is required?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 38

Does this box have to be external?

i.e. - in the above images the entry point is below finished ground level.  I'm planning on providing access to this joint via a manhole built into the steps with a recessed manhole cover in the step going.

Would it be possible for the connection box to be placed into this manhole? 

I've read that this external box is not being used anymore and instead they are using a "Connectorised Female to Female Connector Lead".  That would mean it is just a joint which would be fine in the manhole.

Is this about right?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 38

@Dave_77 wrote:

I've read that this external box is not being used anymore and instead they are using a "Connectorised Female to Female Connector Lead".  That would mean it is just a joint which would be fine in the manhole.

Is this about right?

from a previous post on the forum that was used for a short time but openreach discarded and went back to CSP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 38

Thanks, so looks like I'll need to put in a recessed manhole into my step.

Do you know if Openreach would be willing when the time comes, to place the CSP inside the manhole.

Have you heard of them being placed in other places rather than prominently on the wall?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 38

When I was getting my Fibre installed, the max underground cable they had was 350M which was 10M short of my property, this entailed them putting a CSP in the last manhole to join the Fibre and then a second CSP at my property.

So they can fit a CSP inside a manhole, it was one of their own manholes which they had provided to me when I was putting the duct in.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 38

What size of access manhole would be required for them to install the CSP?

I need to fit the width of the manhole into the going of the step.  I was hoping that 250mm to 300mm access would be sufficient - as I don't have much more room to keep the risers aligned and have the cable access point in a suitable position in the step.

If I could be informed as to what access would be required for them and the CSP then I could try to get the steps designed.  So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings