cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Broadband connectivity to a new self build

Go to solution

I am trying to arrange a broadband connection to a new self build site.

I went through the Openreach Developer Portal to register my site and got a quote for £2537 for a Full Fibre connection.  This seems a lot to me, as there is a telegraph pole directly opposite the entrance and all I want is a fibre cable to the border of the site.  So I want to understand what makes up the cost, and are there alternatives.  And there is the problem! In order to progress my registration I have to accept the OR quote. But I don't want to accept it because if I do and it turns out not to be acceptable, I will be contracted to OR, with no consumer protection (as they required me to set up a company to go on to the Portal), and so would be liable to the charge regardless. So how do I progress this?!

I have phoned a number I found on this chat (0800 0328660 which took me to single plot new builds) but they won't talk to me without registration.  They directed me to email nsrecep@openreach.co.uk, but I have had no response from that address or even acknowledgement of receipt since I sent an email 11 days ago.  I even sent another email, but same problem.

I tried to find a complaint email, but OR only take complaints on engineer behaviour or roadworks.  There is nowhere to complain about them being useless!!!

Anyone got any ideas of how I can progress this?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband connectivity to a new self build

Go to solution

@gus6623 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

This forum has no connection with Openreach and would not be able to comment on the price that you have been quoted, but considering the amount you are likely to incur building your property, I would think the price quoted would be reasonable.

You are going to have to take this up with Openreach, as nobody on this forum would be able to help.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks. Not really looking for a comment on the price, but how to get through the layers of opacity at OR and how to progress.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

No idea, and I would be surprised if any forum member could help with this. You could always ask on one of the public broadband forums, like thinkbroadand.

I suppose you could always email the CEO of Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
OK. I have found the name of the Senior Manager national newsites client management at Openreach, so am trying him in the first instance. CEO after that.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

As stated , nothing really to do with BT, but if you go down the new sites route with Openreach, then there is a rate card , most developers of scale , make no contribution towards FTTP , but a small development , 1-19 plots there is a contribution towards the infrastructure …obviously a single plot is likely to be expensive compared to the shared expenses of many dwellings, it costs Openreach no less to provide FTTP to one plot than to 30 , it’s the same network more or less.

Its not clear , if this is part of a greenfield development ( even if you are only building one property) then it is what it is  Openreach newsites is the appropriate department , if you are on what was a vacant plot , surrounded by existing housing , or on a plot that had a property that was demolished, it may be possible to connect you to the existing ‘network’ , but that network may not be FTTP , that isn’t really a newsites development, but infill , if the property is on a new plot ( rather than replacing a previous building on the same plot ) it would need to be appropriately registered ( council tax, appear on the Royal Mail website etc ) you could then go down the normal ordering portals , but again depending on how close to existing infrastructure could involve excess construction charges , way in excess of the newsites FTTP levy , 

No doubt you have paid for other utilities to be provided, and at a guess more than the figure quoted for FTTP , and given a home without high speed communication is likely to be difficult to sell , it’s no doubt a figure that would be offset by the higher asking price from having the  ability to offer ultrafast broadband 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks. It is a new site that had no existing services, but is in-between other houses. I have now had a call from OR following my email to escalate it, and finally understand I can proceed with registration without fear of being on the hook for the quoted amount if it isn't suitable.
0 Ratings