cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Converted house, FTTP: Capped at 300Mbps, neighbour above me and receive 900Mbps?

I have a very strange problem, I live in a converted house (into small flats), I have FTTP, https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/ says that I can receive 1000Mbps, Openreach checker says 1800Mbps, I have spoken to both Sky & Plus Net and they say that they can offer 900Mbps.

The fibre line comes in at the rear of the property, the flat above me just an arms length away above me can receive full BT 900Mps FTTP, every BT agent I speak to say I should me able to receive it but it's capped at 300Mps and there is nothing they can do to change that

I have made numerous complaints and they never amount to an answer, the frustrating thing, there is not explanation as to why this is, it's so frustrating.

I wish I could move but I'm stuck in contract for at least another year, how does this make sense, I have FTTP, we are both on the same exchange and in the same house!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Converted house, FTTP: Capped at 300Mbps, neighbour above me and receive 900Mbps?

Post the DSL checker result for your flat that’s 300Mb and the neighbour that can get 1000Mb , there were ( are ) some areas where ECI headends meant that 300ish was the the maximum speed available but obviously if that were the case then it’s not feasible for a neighbour that presumably will be served from the same equipment to get better.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: Converted house, FTTP: Capped at 300Mbps, neighbour above me and receive 900Mbps?

Thanks for reply,

Mine,

My FTTP.png

Neighbour above me,

Neighbour.png

I have hidden the addresses, both say that they are provided by Cabinet 10 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

The checker shows both addresses as WBC FTTP 1000, so it’s not the ECI 300/330 Mb issue , and no real reason why providers can’t offer Gb speed that is available , however if  certain ISP’s are not offering this it could their own capacity problem , not an Openreach one, possibly resulting in them onky selling lower speed profiles , but if this 300 limit is across several ISP , some of them ( like Sky/Talk Talk )  likely to be using different backhaul providers to BT  , then it could  be a data mismatch, perhaps it was an  ECI headend that has been replaced with Nokia/Adtran but the  old data remains in the ISP ordering portal.

Unfortunately , how to get that error addressed isn’t likely to be by speaking to the fist line customer service reps that take  orders,  as they probably will only offer what shows up as available on their screen.

Message 5 of 10

Thanks for your reply, I have written an email to openreach CEO, not something I normally do but hoping it might help. 

I have a feeling it was ECI headend that was replaced but data not updated, I did have FPPT pretty early on, fingers crossed openreach get back to me.  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@iniltouswrote:

The checker shows both addresses as WBC FTTP 1000, so it’s not the ECI 300/330 Mb issue , and no real reason why providers can’t offer Gb speed that is available , however if  certain ISP’s are not offering this it could their own capacity problem , not an Openreach one, possibly resulting in them onky selling lower speed profiles , but if this 300 limit is across several ISP , some of them ( like Sky/Talk Talk )  likely to be using different backhaul providers to BT  , then it could  be a data mismatch, perhaps it was an  ECI headend that has been replaced with Nokia/Adtran but the  old data remains in the ISP ordering portal.

Unfortunately , how to get that error addressed isn’t likely to be by speaking to the fist line customer service reps that take  orders,  as they probably will only offer what shows up as available on their screen.

@iniltous Just to Note, mine shows 1000Mbps, but i am limited by the eci headend issue to 330Mbps

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

If the headend is ECI ( which is rare to start with and is a diminishing ) then the DSL checker should not show 1000Mb as it isn’t possible for that equipment to deliver that speed , if the checker shows the wrong speed then presumably it’s a data error that needs to be corrected , the more usual data error is when an ECI headend is replaced with Adtran or Nokia but the checker continues to show 330Mb , for addresses associated with the original equipment.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

2 feet can make all the difference its a shame a wated for years to be able to get FTTP was so pleased could get the full 900mbs
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

UPDATE!

I ended up emailing the CEO of Openreach, and they have been amazing, they got BT executive team to look into this, initially BT thought they had found a solution but then said they couldn't fix it due to my ONT and header equipment needing to be upgraded, but then I decided to email Openreach back stating what BT had said and they got in touch with  BT again and found a solution, it seems that only my ONT needs upgrading and the only they can do that is BT has to cease my service and order a new FTTP connection, this is booked for Monday and on Wednesday an engineer is coming to install a new ONT, and  this will also allow all the data on my connection to refreshed, once this is done they are confident that I can be upgraded to full fibre 900!   

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Hopefully this intervention will get you in a position to receive the higher speeds available from non ECI equipment, from your post  , ( and a very similar one )  it seems that early adopters of FTTP that were on ECI equipment , even after the ECI headend equipment is replaced  , because of the existence of the ECI ONT  at the customer end  ,  are  limited to the original ECI ONT 300Mb  , whereas a new customer  (  that was never going to be provided with an ECI ONT,  but a Nokia or Adtran one ) has access to Gb speeds from whatever vendor ( Nokia/Adtran ) that replaced the ECI headend .

……it seems a fairly simple step ( but never is simple ) , in these cases ( where more speed is wanted ) to  treat the existing customer with an ECI ONT as a ‘new’  customer and the ‘installer’ simply replaces the  ECI ONT with a Nokia/ Adtran one  ( the headend is already Gb ready,  when the ECI headend was replaced) , but obviously the ordering process is built around once FTTP is installed , no further engineering visit should be needed , hence the ECI ONT limit is effectively baked in , regardless of the headend being capable of higher speed .

Although  the concept is pretty basic ( change the ONT ) circumventing the processes that are designed to standardise the ordering process , is beyond the scope of the customer service representative, and even if they can visualise the problem and solution, the algorithm running the process spits out the installation order , detecting the existing ONT , so rejecting the engineer visit as unnecessary .