cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

FTTC Speed Reduction

Hello, recently realised my download speed has dropped dramatically. I ran a check on https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com as below and saw a "Max Observed Downstream Speed" of 46.22mbps, this was previously 67mbps. This speed is now below the shown Downstream Handback Threshold.

bt.png

When I try and check my options for " upgrading" it now shows I can only choose packages with a maximum of 42mbps which was previously 60mbps+.

I've tried to call BT on 150, when I chose the option for a billing issue, the automated system just proceeded to tell me how many minutes I'd used. I then tried the option to say I have a technical fault and was automatically told there is a fault with my line and asked if I'd like an engineer to come out tomorrow.

I am worried however that the engineer won't be able to do anything about this as it doesn't seem like a line fault issue? Why would and how can BT downgrade my package without making me aware of it up front and still charging the same amount per month?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTC Speed Reduction

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

BT will not have reduced your speed but if you have noise problems with your line or your connection is dropping that would result in increased noise margin and speed reduction

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problems 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

I don't have a hub, I have a Huwaei Openreach modem instead.

Quiet line test is showing no issue.

I understand that my connection may be lower if there's a line fault, but I didn't think it would affect my predicted speeds, even with other Openreach providers. My neighbours address also shows a lower predicted speed.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Any predicted speed you get if trying to renew will be based on your actual connection speed not the speed shown on dslchecker

As you cannot produce any stats as I expect your connection has problems causing noise margin  higher than normal 6db which results in lower speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

You have a line fault, your speed is below the handback threshold so you can report it as a slow speed fault.

0 Ratings