cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Full Fibre Installation Question

Go to solution

Hi all,

Probably a bit of a dumb question so excuse me sorry.

I have Openreach coming soon to install Full Fibre 100 at my flat I have recently just moved into. They say they will need to install two boxes inside and out and will need to run a wire down the inside of the building, but I’ve already got an Openreach box on the wall in the living room so I’d think I’m already good to go and don’t need them to do this? Or am I missing something?

Thanks guys.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Full Fibre Installation Question

Go to solution

Depends what 'The Openreach box' is.

If it is just a copper master socket (NTE) that will not be used for fibre. You need to have an optical modem (ONT) fitted to terminate the optical cable.

Do you have a master socket or ONT?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@NitroSandwich17  Ensure you have the permission of the freeholder before you arrange for such work.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Okay, that explains it better. I have a single master socket. Thanks mate

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@NitroSandwich17wrote:

Okay, that explains it better. I have a single master socket. Thanks mate

Yes, that explains what you have BUT if you're having BT Full Fibre 100, that sounds more like an FTTP connection rather than a FTTC. As I mentioned above, you should ensure the freeholder is aware

"Full Fibre uses FTTP technology, which means the fibre connection runs directly to your house."

"With Full Fibre installation, we'll upgrade the master phone socket (the white box on the wall) and install an Openreach modem (ONT), which connects to the fibre optical cable that comes into your house."

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/full-fibre/how-is-full-fibre-installed 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Carlusha  The process for MDU's is different depanding on the number of flats in the property.

See post #2 here.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/FTTP-Installation-in-block-of-flats/td-p/2157165 

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@pippincp  Thanks, I knew this. We live in a 66 flat block. The Managing Agent is currently in discussion with a Fibre provider for the block with the Freeholders permission. I keep checking for Openreach/BT but nothing doing thus far. I believe the fibre company is an independent outfit using IFG for the installation of the fibre underground. I want to remain with BT but I will find the lure of 1gb for less than we're paying now rather difficult to refuse!

Prior to moving here, we owned our flat and another in a house of 9 flats and we self-managed as we had all purchased the freehold collectively. One renter, without even asking, arranged for Sky to fit a dish to the window sill, fitted cabling through the reception area, down the hall and through a wall into his bedroom. Not only was it an eyesore, and embarrassing for the owner of the flat, but he had to remove it all, including the dish at his own expense. Further, the building was a seafront so the council planning team became involved but were happy the dish was removed.

Never a dull moment in this old man's life!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

You say that your landlord is in discussion with a fibre company. Just be aware that there any a few other providers than Openreach. So if the landlord goes with say, City fibre. You won't be able to use BT as your provider. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings