cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Full Fibre Installation

Hi, I had arranged for a full fibre installation but when the engineer came he suggested that he would have to run a cable from the box at the front of our house right across the front of the house and then drill through the wall to install the new router in our living room.

This is not an option for me.  My understanding is that the fibre has already been delivered to a small box beside my front door.  What I assumed would happen is that they would run the fibre from there to the existing master socket in our hallway that is opposite the front door so that all the cabling was under the floor in the same way that the current cabling is.  They would then replace the master socket with the new socket and our new router would sit in place of the old one.

Sorry if I haven't explained this very well but can anyone tell me if this is possible please.

Thanks

John

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Full Fibre Installation

Full Fibre has nothing to do with your "old" master socket. It does not use the internal copper wiring that was used for your phone.

Generally speaking the fibre will be fed into your property where the copper cables were fed into the property but this can be open to discussion with the person who is carrying out the install.

If possible they will accommodate where you want it installed and if that is not possible they will explain why. It is very unlikely that they will run fibre under your floor.

See links

How is Full Fibre installed? | BT Help

Installing Ultrafast Full Fibre | Openreach

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

If you are able to lift floor boards and provide a clear route or ducted run with draw rope no doubt they could use the route with agreement but otherwise it'll be a run external, cable clipped to wall then drill through and clipped to skirting as the required.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for your reply, the links were helpful.  

I was hopeful that the full fibre would be able to follow the path of our existing cable so that I could have my router in the same place in my hall but it seems that is not going to be possible.   

The external box is at our front door so to bring the cable into the house anywhere else they would have to run a cable across the front of the house  and that isn't an option for me.

Looks like I'll just have to stick with the fibre 2 broadband I currently have.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Could wait until we need to lift the carpet and then lift the floor boards to run a duct from the current master socket to the location of the external box. I don't think we'll be doing anything anytime soon.
Thanks for the reply.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

@John8216 wrote:
Could wait until we need to lift the carpet and then lift the floor boards to run a duct from the current master socket to the location of the external box. I don't think we'll be doing anything anytime soon.
Thanks for the reply.

If you decide to do that make sure that any duct and the radius of any bends is compatible with Openreach fibre installation otherwise when the installer comes, if it is not they will refuse to use it and either install it where they deem suitable or refuse to install due to customer's infrastructure not being suitable.

You would be better to have the install of the ONT inside the house where or as near to where the outside box is then on the internal side run Ethernet under the floor from the ONT to where you want the Smarthub sited

Ethernet is more forgiving than fibre as regards flexibility and radius of any bends.